2018 Nappert Prize in International Arbitration
Thanks to the generosity of Sophie Nappert (BCL’86, LLB’86), the Nappert Prize in International Arbitration will again be awarded by McGill University in 2018.
The Nappert Prize Competition is open to all students, junior scholars and junior practitioners from around the world. To be eligible for the prize, authors must:
- be enrolled in a BCL, LLB, JD, LLM, DCL, or PhD program (or their local equivalents); or
- have taken their most recent law degree within the last three years; or
- have been admitted to the practice of law for no more than three years.
Co-authored submissions are permissible, but each author must meet the eligibility criteria. Also, only one author will be guaranteed a flight to Montreal for the symposium.
Prize: First place: $4,000; Second place: $2,000; Third place: $1,000 (in Canadian dollars).
Winning one of the awards will carry with it the presentation of the paper at a symposium to be held at McGill University in Autumn 2018 (the expenses of the winners for attending the symposium will be covered). In addition, the best oralist will receive an award of Can. $1,000.
April 30, 2018.
- must relate to commercial or investment arbitration;
- must be unpublished (not yet submitted for publication) as of April 30;
- must be a maximum of 15, 000 words (including footnotes);
- must be written in English, French, or Spanish;
- should use OSCOLA or some other well-established legal citation guide (e.g. McGill Red Book; Bluebook);
- must be in MS Word format.
Jurors for the 2018 competition will include:
- Julie Bédard, Partner, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP, New York & São Paulo
- Professor Lawrence Boo, Adjunct Professor, National University of Singapore & Bond University
- Professor Olivier Caprasse, Universities of Liège and Brussels, Member of the Brussels Bar
- Professor Kun Fan, McGill University, Montreal
- José Feris, Partner, Squire Patton Boggs, Paris
- Alexander Fessas, Secretary-General & Director of ICC Dispute Resolution Services, International Chamber of Commerce Court, Paris
- Meg Kinnear, Secretary-General, International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, Washington, DC
- Eduardo Zuleta Jaramillo, Partner, Zuleta Abogados Asociados, Bogota
Submissions are to be emailed to Lucas Clover Alcolea (lucas.cloveralcolea [at] mail.mcgill.ca) as an attached file on or before April 30, 2018.
Submissions should be accompanied by a statement affirming the author’s eligibility for the competition, confirmation that the work is original to the author, and confirmation of the unpublished status of the paper.
Review of the papers will start after April 30, 2018.
Enquiries should be sent to the same address: (lucas.cloveralcolea [at] mail.mcgill.ca).