Mental Health First Aid
The Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Program is now available in a virtual format, offered by the Mental Health Commission of Canada. The MFHA program is designed to provide the necessary support to a person who may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or facing a mental health crisis. MHFA teaches about recovery and resiliency – the belief that individuals experiencing these challenges can and do get better, and use their strengths to stay well. Course participants will learn how to recognize the signs of such a decline and learn about approaches to encourage a person to:
- Talk about declines in their mental well-being and
- Reach out to professionals and other supports to help in their recovery towards improved mental well-being
The upcoming MFHA training is being offered on:
- Module 1 (2 hours – a self-directed module)
- Module 2 - March 30, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Module 3 - March 31, 2023, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Participants must complete the three modules and attend both sessions on March 30 and March 31, 2023, to get certified.
The MHFA Standard Virtual Program – An 8-hour course with 3 modules:
Module 1 (2-hours – a self-directed module)
This module focuses on the information and strategies that participants will discuss and practice throughout the virtual classroom sessions (Modules 2 and 3). Course participants must complete Module 1 in order to be eligible to participate in Module 2 and 3.
Module 2 (3.5 hours in a virtual classroom)
This module focuses on applying MHFA actions, learned in module 1, to situations of declining mental well-being, and the guidelines for MHFA conversations with people from diverse cultures and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community
Module 3 (3.5 hours in a virtual classroom)
This module focuses on discussing the use of MHFA actions for self-care and the practice of using MHFA actions in crisis situations.
- Access Minerva.
- In the Employee Menu, click on Training Menu, select Organizational Development, and follow the instructions to register.