The proliferation of military activities in outer space, evidenced by the surge in anti-satellite weapon testing and the augmentation and integration of space-based defense capabilities of many space-faring States in recent years, is increasingly becoming a threat not only to international peace and security but also to the sustainable utilisation of outer space.
In this context, the webinar will discuss the prospects of expanding and clarifying the existing international law for restraining the militarization and weaponization of outer space.
The webinar will open with two brief presentations—first, on a possible Optional Protocol to the Outer Space Treaty by Amb. Paul Meyer, and second, on the efforts of the McGill-led international effort, the McGill Manual on International Law Applicable to Military Uses of Outer Space (MILAMOS) to clarify lex lata on the military uses of outer space by Ms. Elina Morozova, Associate Editor of the Manual.
Registration: iaass.wildapricot.org/event-4042300. The Zoom connection details will be sent to registrants.
- An Optional Protocol to the Outer Space Treaty (Paul Meyer)
- Manual on international law applicable to Military Uses of Outer Space (MILAMOS) (Elina Morozova)
- Steven Freeland, Professor, Western Sydney University
- Ram Jakhu, Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University
- Paul Meyer, Fellow in International Security and Adjunct Professor of International Studies, Simon Fraser University
- Tommaso Sgobba, Executive Director, International Association for the Advancement of Space Safety
- Elina Morozova, Associate Editor, MILAMOS; Head of International Legal Service, Intersputnik
- Rajeswari (Raji) Pillai Rajagopalan, Distinguished Fellow & Head of the Nuclear and Space Policy Initiative, Observer Research Foundation
Organized by McGill Institute of Air and Space Law & IAASS Space Safety Legal & Policy Committee.
For more information, please contact kiran.vazhapully [at] mail.mcgill.ca (subject: IASL-IAASS%20Webinar%20III) (Kiran Vazhapully )