Working in Canada

International students planning to work in Canada require a work permit to do so. Students may require on (or more) of the following pemits depending on when they plan to work. Wait times vary so it is advisable to apply early. Students with a valid work permit are able to work on campus. For details on all work permits please consult Citizenship and Immigration Canada. 


Off-Campus Work Pemit

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows international students to work off-campus while they are full-time students. This permit allows students to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic semesters (Fall and Winter), and full time during scheduled breaks (summer, Christmas etc). Eligible students may apply for an Off-Campus Work Permit after 6 months of fulltime studies. International Student Services can help you prepare your online application.


Co-op Work Permit

A Co-op Work Permit is required for students working off-campus on a co-op work term or internship. This permit allows students in a recognized internship or co-op program (Engineering Internship Program, Materials Co-op or Mining Co-op) to work full-time for the duration of their placement. Students completing a 4-month summer internship are able to use their Off-Campus Work Permit. You may not apply online for this permit, please contact your internship of co-op advisor for assistance in preparing your application.


Post-Graduation Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows new graduates to work in Canada upon completion of their fulltime studies. You must apply for this permit  within 90 days of receiving written confirmation that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program.