Under the supervision of the Director, the Manager Technical Design, will manage the work of the Building Technologist group to assure that comprehensive and complete set of plans and specifications are prepared for projects and related construction work of McGill Facilities. The incumbent will be an integral member of the design team with primary responsibility for providing professional expertise for interpreting user needs and preparing for designs that reconcile building constraints, planning priorities and building code requirements and translating in construction detailing, drawing conventions and specifications writing. Verifies that the designs presented are respecting building codes and other applicable legislations.
- Manage the activities of the technical team (5 Building Technologists) to ensure project deliverables are produced on time, within budget and to the satisfaction of the client.
- Provide senior professional expertise in order to help the clients define their needs and develop architectural design programs in consultation with the user/client and other interested University constituencies.
- Manage the production of a fully coordinated set of architectural working documents including drawings and specifications. This will include revisions to existing working drawings as required.
- Provide professional services in order to provide design development and direction from concept through to completion.
- Undertake all responsibilities in a cooperative manner with all associated project team parties conducive to the successful completion of the projects.
- Consults with McGill Stakeholders in order to develop the construction standards. Monitors design construction work and other design contracted projects to assure that the facilities are constructed in accordance with specifications.
- Develop design processes, review and quality processes, tools and templates to facilitate the activities of the technical team.
- Ensures a quality review of all contractual documentation including technical plans & specifications for tender, as well as legal documents related to design construction projects.
- Define, in collaboration with the Director, strategic direction of the unit, oversee implementation of short and long term plans related to construction and renovation projects.
- Manage and report on the financial, time and staff assignment in conjunction with the internal fees recovery Policy.
- Lead the technical development of the projects design and standards for the University.
- Develops standards architectural details and unit related policies for the preparation of documents.
- Reconcile designs to the Quebec Construction Code and provide code interpretation.
- Participate in the implementation of new processes and initiatives that foster innovation in the field and update skills and knowledge.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is October 19, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.