The Service Point Associate supports students, applicants, parents, alumni, and the general public by providing outstanding service and information concerning policies and procedures with respect to: admissions, registration, student accounts, and fees, tuition and immigration documents, first line advising for Arts & Science students, and as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in one or more designated functional areas (i.e. Legal Documents).
The incumbent is responsible for proactive problem-solving and discretionary decision-making to resolve student issues on the spot or via case-management where necessary. These may concern a broad range of complex issues regarding policies as they relate to the services enumerated above. Services are provided to graduate, undergraduate, exchange, professional, and other categories of students.
The Service Point Associate acts as mentor and as an escalation point to other Service Point staff in resolving complex issues and is accountable to their SME functional area of expertise.
- Answers questions in-person, on the phone, by e-mail, or by other written correspondence such as social media.
- Uses professional judgment and discretionary authority to resolve problems and address concerns and issues from students, parents, faculty, staff, departments, and from other third parties regarding the following areas: admissions, registration, student accounts, student records and transcripts, tuition and immigration status, exams, exchange programs, first level advising for Arts and Science students, and other general information.
- Uses investigation, professional judgment, and individual discretion, as appropriate. Follows through on issues until resolved, providing necessary correspondence and contact with students or third parties. Contacts student advisors, faculties, or other university departments to clarify situations, as necessary. Intercedes and/or advocates on the student's behalf.
- Evaluates student documentation and renders decisions related to tuition and immigration status in consultation with McGill colleagues and makes decisions which are consistent with provincial and federal legislative documentation.
- Is highly motivated, focused, and results-oriented. Has the ability to meet expectations in a fast-paced and dynamic customer-oriented environment. Will take appropriate action in unusual circumstances and will make exceptions to policy when warranted. Has the ability to exercise a high degree of initiative and judgment.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in Partner Units to implement cross-training and appropriate professional development opportunities for staff. Actively works with service professionals cross-trained in all areas.
- Supervises direct reports, and coaches and mentors Service Point staff regarding effective decision making and policy interpretation.
- Accountable for the SME functional area of expertise assigned. Reports to direct manager regarding the volume of work for that area, the resourcing of that work, and the capacity for the work to be done within pre-established work norms.
- Provides a positive leadership model to staff. Is a willing mentor, shares knowledge and expertise freely, and creates a safe and productive working environment. Gives presentations.
- Ensures that he/she is informed of and provided with up-to-date information regarding all policies, procedures, and practices related to the Service Point.
- Commits to the provision of outstanding service and contribution to the Service Point team in ways which are consistent with the values, credo, and aspirations of McGill’s division of Student Life and Learning.
Three (3) years' related experience
One (1) year related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Enrolment Services at hr.es [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is November 21, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Enrolment Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.