Reporting to the Associate Director Protection, Student Housing and Hospitality Services, the Protection Supervisor is responsible for the night to night operations by directing a team of Night Stewards within the Unit. Provides the best possible direction of comprehensive programs related to security services, emergency preparedness, fire prevention and environmental health and safety in an environment that fosters a sense of community, enhances student learning/safety and supports the overall mission of the SHHS unit within the University. Fosters a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors while enforcing policies, procedures, legislation and regulations concerning building access control, thefts and incidents, accidents and safety training.
- Perform and organize activities to support the day/night operations of the unit by ensuring that functions are carried out in accordance with established goals and objectives.
- Assist with the organization of security , fire protection, safety, environmental and occupational health programs, are administered in conformity with established procedures and guidelines.
- Participate in public awareness activities by promoting the services offered.
- Participate in the writing of documents or reports related to issues (e.g. security, emergency measure, fire prevention, environmental health and safety, access control, etc.).
- Provide support /resources/assistance to the communities for security and /or safety concerns.
- Provide managerial direction/advice to queries from internals and externals.
- Support emergency response operations and emergency preparedness program protocol; and respond to incidents in accordance with response procedures and communicated directives.
- Establish and foster effective working relationships by identifying needs and providing support in the delivery of services.
- Troubleshoots, assesses and resolves problems requiring skills and technical knowledge.
- Assist employees in their training.
- Conducts rounds/patrols(overnight) within the SHHS to be visible in the supervision of the staff, including Solin Hall.
- Liaises with internal and external stakeholders regarding safety issues.
- Attends meetings.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Student Housing and Hospitality Services:
hrapplication.shhs [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is October 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Student Housing and Hospitality Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.