Reporting to the Associate Director Protection, Student Housing & Hospitality Services, the Protection Supervisor is responsible for the day-to-day operations by directing a team of Night Stewards within the Unit. Provides the best possible direction of comprehensive programs related to security services, emergency preparedness, fire prevention and environmental health and safety in an environment that fosters a sense of community, enhances student learning/safety and supports the overall mission of the SHHS unit within the University. Fosters a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors while enforcing policies, procedures, legislation and regulations concerning building access control, thefts and incidents, accidents and safety training.
- Directly supervise the team of approximately 10 to 20 Night Stewards and casuals, including participating in the hiring, interviewing.
- Make recommendations on probation or bring up issues to the Associate Director Protection.
- Train and coach staff and organize activities to support the day/night operations of the unit by ensuring that functions are carried out in accordance with established goals and objectives.
- Implement administrative procedures in support of the unit's operation.
- Assist with the organization of security , fire protection, safety, environmental and occupational health programs, are adminsitered in conformity with established procedures and guidelines.
- Participate in public awareness activities by promoting the services offered. . Plan and oversee the implementation of projects.
- Participate in the writing of documents or reports related to issues (e.g. security, emergency measure, fire prevention, environmental health and safety, access control, etc.).
- Administer safety inspections of the unit's buildings, as per legislation and regulations. When appropriate, inform the Associate Director Protection of discrepancies and formulate recommendations.
- Provide support /resources/assistance to the communities for security and /or safety concerns.
- Provide assistance and liaise with University Safety office related to queries from internals and externals.
- Support emergency response operations and emergency preparedness program protocol; and respond to incidents in accordance with response procedures and communicated directives.
- Establish the work schedule on a rotational basis.
- Ensure back-up list is available in case of Night Steward vacation or unplanned leave.
- Establish and foster effective working relationships by identifying needs and providing support in the delivery of services.
- Produces quarterly reports/monthly evaluations and presents it to the Associate Director Protection for review.
- Assist employees in their training.
- Conducts rounds/patrols(overnight) within the SHHS, including Solin Hall.
- Strong knowledge of Collective Union Agreements.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Student Housing and Hospitality Services:
hrapplication.shhs [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is November 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Student Housing and Hospitality Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.