Provision of the efficient and effective operation of a University unit, in support of teaching, research and administration, in accordance with the unit's goals and objectives and ensuring coherence with the University's mission and culture. This includes the planning, development and implementation of all administrative processes and supporting policies for a unit; the development of standards, practices and systems and the provision of a liaison function with other University units and with external organizations. It also includes the provision of leadership, professional advice and functional guidance in shaping the University's mission in coherence with its values and culture; authoritative advisory services and administrative support for decision-making at the senior administration level; development, implementation and monitoring of archives and records management services; comprehensive integrated record keeping policies and procedures; the management of contracts, grants, or other formal relationships; interpretation and application of University regulations, policies and guidelines; translation services; maintenance of governing bodies and committees and protection the of University symbols.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop and implement administrative procedures, policies and processes to support a faculty/department/ unit's goals and objectives and the University's overall mission of teaching and research; and foster relationships with other University units and external organizations.
- Perform and/or organize activities in support of the daily operations of a faculty/department/unit, by ensuring that administrative services are carried out in accordance with established goals and objectives.
- Implement administrative procedures or systems that are moderately complex to support the unit's operations and to ensure that administrative services meet or exceed established quality requirements.
- Act as advisor to unit members regarding University policies and procedures.
- Supervise support staff. Regularly confer with unit officials in order to plan ahead and co-ordinate administrative support needs.
- Assess and resolve administrative problems. When appropriate, inform supervisor and formulate recommendations.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Undergraduate degree an asset. Excellent planning, organizational and priority setting skills. Problem solving ability and ability to manage multiple projects. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to establish client relationships. Strong interest in working in an entrepreneurial educational environment. Attention to detail. Strong written and spoken communication skills in English and French.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the School of Continuing Studies at hr.conted [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is January 31, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the School of Continuing Studies will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, Professor Angela Campbell, Associate Provost (Equity and Academic Policies) at angela.campbell [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-1660.