Reporting to the Associate Director Campus Public Safety (Security Services), the Operations Manager is responsible for providing a high level of organizational & leadership skills to the Security Services Department under Campus Public Safety. The Operations Manager will promote and maintain a safe and healthy environment for students, staff and visitors to campus facilities, in conformity with applicable laws, regulations and codes. He/she will troubleshoot, assess and resolve problems using specialized skills and technical knowledge. The Operations Manager will provide advice to unit members on problem resolution, & will develop and implement procedures and/or controls to enhance the operation of the unit and will participate in the development and implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the department/unit by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in the security field.
- Oversees the department’s Operations unit including but not limited to events planning security, construction security, agency personnel, the Security Operations Centre (SOC) activities, allocation of personnel, etc.
- Supervise, manage, coach & motivate direct reports as well as agency personnel. Maintains the department’s employees’ weekly work and On-call schedules.
- Responds to complaints regarding services rendered by agency personnel & ensures issues are addressed and rectified.
- Participates in conducting investigations of incidents when needed; prepares evidence for court appearances and serve as a witness.
- Ensures that policies and programs related to Operations of Campus Public Safety are developed.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of training manuals in regards to the department's policies & procedures, as well as the agents' roles & responsibilities.
- Liaise with various law enforcement authorities as well as the Contracted Agency management team and ensures that good working relationships are maintained.
- Participate in the strategic development of tactical plans.
- May be called upon to represent the department and the Associate Director – Campus Public Safety (Security Services) at various meetings and events and/or during his/her absence.
- Participate in various crime prevention campaigns.
- Provide safety training to McGill students, faculty & staff.
- At times may be called upon to assume the role & responsibility of Incident Commander during a crisis, emergency or disaster in accordance with the University’s Emergency Response Plan.
Three (3) years' related experience
Five (5) years' related experience
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your curriculum vitae and cover letter, clearly indicating the reference number:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West,10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca