The Design, Electrical and Mechanical Operations Engineer of the Design Services reports to the Director of Design Services, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services. Develop mechanical and electrical plans and specifications for the renovation and construction of McGill Facilities. The engineer will be responsible for projects for research laboratories, classrooms and teaching spaces, offices and code conformity upgrades. The incumbent will be an integral member of the design with primary responsibility for interpreting user needs and preparing designs that reconcile building constraints, planning priorities and building code requirements.
- Provide professional expertise in order to design structures that satisfy their clients' needs while conforming to the McGill Design Standards, the Quebec Construction Code and the National Building Code of Canada and provide code analysis.
- Prepare a fully coordinated set of mechanical/electrical working documents including drawings and specifications. This will include revisions to existing working drawings as required. Stamp the documents.
- Undertake all responsibilities in a cooperative manner with all associated project team parties conducive to the successful completion of the projects.
- Provide professional expertise in order to help the clients define their needs and develop mechanical/electrical design programs in consultation with the user/client and other interested University constituencies.
- Prepare and present verbal and written presentations to individuals and groups as required by the project dynamics.
- Establish and develops effective partnerships with authorities having jurisdiction, the University community and senior administration.
- Provide professional services in order to provide design development and direction from concept through to completion.
- Inform clients on design issues and work required to maintain facilities and buildings.
- Evaluate large, complex design projects. Provide recommendations to senior administration on feasibility of various complex design projects.
- Participates in the development of standard mechanical and electrical specifications.
- Develop estimations for mechanical and electrical projects designed internally.
- Represent Design Services at internal and external meetings.
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Facilities Management and Ancillary Services:
McGill University, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (HR), Area Personnel Office
1010 Sherbrooke Street West, 10th floor
fmas.hr [at] mcgill.ca
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Facilities Management and Ancillary Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.