Ensures the efficient and effective operation of the service desk and other administrative and operational functions in support of the Library’s mission.
- Supervise staff. Schedule and assign workload. Note and follow up on absences, address staff issues immediately, reassign priorities to ensure optimal service delivery at all service points. Regularly confer with Head Librarian and Coordinator in order to plan and co-ordinate service and administrative needs.
- Respond to client requests and queries, concerning policies, practices and procedures at the library. Refer more complex inquiries to other library staff as necessary. Interpret and apply the policies, practices and guidelines and when appropriate, inform Head Librarian and Coordinator, and formulate recommendations for improvement.
- Assess and resolves issues within their area of responsibilities.
- Participate in the recruitment of Library Assistants and casuals. Train and develop staff. Ensure staff are informed of changes and updates in procedures, policies and/or services.
- Deal with borrowing issues, fines and other lending issues and take appropriate actions. Deal with the issues relating to unpaid student, staff and faculty fines. Update library patrons' records.
- Assess and resolve problems related to collections, facilities and security. When appropriate, inform Head Librarian and Coordinator, and bring forward ideas and suggestions for improvement.
- Responsible for the acquisition of course reserve material. Build strong relations with faculty members and other units within the library to identify reserve material needs and provide support in the delivery of reserve material services. Implement administrative procedures or systems that support the receiving and processing of the reserve material so it is handled rapidly and efficiently.
- Provide liaison function with other University units and external organizations. • Monitor and reconcile daily intake of debit and credit card payments. Investigate and account for discrepancies.
- Represent the branch library or unit at internal and external meetings or committees.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to McGill University Libraries:
McGill University, Libraries, Area Personnel Office
3459 McTavish Street (McLennan Library Building)
application.library [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is February 27, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, McGill University Libraries will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.