Under the supervision of the Associate Director (Learning Assessment and Support) the Learning Skills Specialist develops and administers a suite of learning supports to assist McGill students in improving their learning skills and academic outcomes.
- Assesses learning skills deficits in individual students and proposes targeted intervention
- Delivers learning skill interventions in one-on-one meetings with students
- Refers students to appropriate McGill and/or community resources when other non-learning problems emerge
- Develops written and audio-visual material to provide self-directed learning options for students interested in improving their learning skills autonomously
- Develops and presents workshops and webinars on topics related to learning skills development
- Maintains expertise in the domain of learning support via continuing education and staying informed of current directions in research
- Recruits, trains, and provides supervision to staff and volunteers under the learning support umbrella
- Develops and implements new initiatives that advance the strategic direction of the Learning Assessment and Support Team
- Establishes and maintains liaison with key personnel within Student Services, Teaching and Learning Services, and Faculties, as well as the wider McGill community
- Liaises with university faculty and staff regarding specific learning and / or teaching strategies, promoting the principles of Universal Design for Learning
- Represents the unit at various conferences, e.g., Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), Canadian Association of College & University Student Services (CACUSS), etc.
- Initiates and maintains liaison with Learning Specialists at other educational institutions.
- Participates in the design and development of the Office for Students with Disabilities webpage.
- Undertakes special projects as determined by the Associate Director or Director of the Office for Students with Disabilities.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Student Services at staffing.s2 [at] mcgill.ca.
The deadline to apply for this position is November 14, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Student Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.