UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Reporting to the Indigenous Initiatives Advisor, Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic), the Indigenous Administrator is responsible for providing a high level of organizational and administrative support and contributing to the smooth and efficient operations of the unit. Responsible for supporting the implementation of strategic Indigenous priorities emerging from the 2017 Final Report Provost’s Task Force on Indigenous Studies and Indigenous Education. Acts as a resource person for services and procedures provided by the unit to the McGill community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains and manages the calendar of the Indigenous Initiatives Advisor to optimize the use of his time.
- Administer all incoming internal and external requests while ensuring organizational priorities are being maintained.
- Arranges and administers all travel and accommodation to national and international destinations in connection with University business, conferences, relationship building, government and Indigenous activities for the Advisor.
- Organize meetings, set up agendas, prepare files and briefing material; set up audio-visual equipment and arrange for catering when required.
- Attend meetings, produce minutes and follow up on action points.
- Maintains the flow of information related to Indigenous activities to the Advisor, to identify priority events, meetings, and deadlines.
- Ensures accurate and complete financial record keeping and compliance with University procedures and regulations.
- Provide financial and accounting services such as processing advances, expense reports and supplier invoices.
- Assist with the preparation of budget related to events.
- Maintain good rapport with staff within all units and the University community. Establish and foster effective working relationships with various stakeholders by identifying needs and providing support in the delivery of services
- Edit communication and public relations materials for targeted events.
- Assist the Indigenous Initiatives Advisor with increasing the visibility of Indigenous Initiatives, Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) by creating and promoting events and accomplishments through appropriate media channels.
- Assist with the planning, organization and execution of all aspects of major events such as national and international gatherings as well as smaller scale events regularly occurring
- Provide assistance to the Advisor by tracking project plans and following through on the implementation of community involvement initiatives.
- Maintain computerized information systems ensure they capture the required data for reporting requirements and are kept up to date.
- Compile research and data (from within McGill and externally) example; annual reporting obligations to Quebec Ministry of Education.
- Liaises with many offices across the University and with the external community.
- Provide logistical support for activities related to the Indigenous portfolio.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years’ related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Must be able to prioritize multiple requests, including the ability to conduct comprehensive evaluation of issues to determine priorities. Excellent planning, organizational and priority setting skills as well as ability to problem solve and to manage multiple projects. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Demonstrated ability to interact on a professional level with internal and external clients. Must be pro-active and show initiative. Proven financial experience including the ability to develop and work with budgets. Ability to build constructive and effective relationships. Proven flexibility in order to adapt to tight deadlines, frequent changes and demands. Proven ability to take minutes at meetings and follow up with action items in a timely manner. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Staffing:
McGill University, Human Resources (Staffing)
688 Sherbrooke Street West, suite 1520
apply.hr [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is September 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Staffing will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.