Reporting to the Dean of Continuing Studies, the Director of Finance and Operations provides leadership and strategic direction over the School of Continuing Studies’ financial matters and operations. This position works in close partnership with the Directors and Managers of SCS to achieve business goals by ensuring alignment and effective management of financial/budget planning and ensure implementation of new initiatives, as well as up-to-date School-wide systems and operations. As a member of the senior leadership team, the individual will support the Dean and School’s unit Directors and Managers, and provide key financial analysis and recommendations aligned to support the strategic focus and mission of the School. The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for the overall financial management of all funds within SCS including operating, self-funded, endowment and research grant accounts. Provides direct supervision to team of four employees (including management and support staff) and dotted line to leadership and support to staff situated in SCS units who are actively involved in budget creation, monitoring and reporting.
- Develop/lead the financial reporting infrastructure to ensure the financial health of the School and lead/ensure the implementation of strategic decisions, ongoing analysis and performance tracking for the Executive team/School.
- Provide leadership for the School in matters of Finance and Operations (including IT systems and facilities).
- Develop financial budget modeling, undertake forecasting and scenario planning in support of the School’s activities and new initiatives.
- Provide leadership and direction to the School’s units/departments for matters including financial planning, budgeting, compliance and reporting and facilities management.
- Establish general administrative, direct budget planning exercises and ensure appropriate allocation of financial resources to support the Schools strategic priorities.
- Ensure continued implementation of timely and effective internal control systems, and budget management standards.
- Maintain and control adherence to University accounting, control and financial management policies and deadlines.
- Provide leadership and direction to establish strategic decision making and promote continued value for revenue-generating activities;
- Ensure that overall processes are optimized for the delivery of departmental service offering.
- Develop a formal multi-year action plan for Finance and Operations and any related measurements of key performance indicators
- Provide leadership and management to a team of four employees including performance evaluations and professional development.
- Develop and lead a working group for staff situated in the units of the School who are actively involved in the preparation of budgets and in day-to-day financial activities as well as monitoring and reporting. Provide dotted line leadership and support for this group.
- Establish direction for senior staff members in the development of short and long-term strategies for the School and its units/departments.
- Plan, develop and implement administrative procedures, policies and processes to optimize administrative, operations and finance services in support of the School's overall strategic mission.
- Provide authoritative advice to staff, including unit Directors and Managers on financial governance, and administrative policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ensure the implementation of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the School and its units by keeping abreast of new developments and trends in University administration. Represent the School at internal and/or external meetings.
- Establish the strategic planning of the School; define the annual operational objectives and align relevant strategies.
- Foster relationships with McGill’s Central Administration colleagues, stakeholders and external organizations.
Eight (8) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the School of Continuing Studies at hr.conted [at] mcgill.ca.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the School of Continuing Studies will only contact applicants selected for an interview.