The Area Manager, Finance, is responsible for providing leadership, professional advice and functional guidance in shaping the ASC’s mission in line with its values and culture. As part of the management team for a designated ASC, the incumbent will plan, develop and implement administrative procedures, policies and processes in support of the ASC’s objectives. In collaboration with the area managers overseeing Student Affairs and Human Resources & Operations within the ASC, the incumbent establishes the strategic direction of Finance for the departments within the ASC.
- Provides advice to assigned departments and departmental Chairs regarding Faculty and University policies and procedures in the area of finance.
- Prepares and submits operating and other budgets for departments.
- Collaborates with the department Chairs to determine the funding requirements for Teaching Assistant needs while respecting the current budget availability and Faculty policy prior to posting TA positions.
- Participates in the recruitment of administrative and support staff in the area of Finance, including evaluating needs, requesting funding for positions, writing of job descriptions, interviewing and hiring of candidates in collaboration with the Managers overseeing Student Affairs and Human Resources & Operations within the ASC.
- Supervises support staff in the area of Finance. Plans schedules and directs the work of staff in these areas and in accordance with the ASC’s goals and objectives and monitors performance.
- Oversees the financial operations of the units for which the ASC provides support.
- Acts as approver/reviewer for a variety of financial transactions related to day-to-day operations of the units within the ASC (e.g. MMP, Pcard, invoice payments, honoraria, etc.).
- Collaborates with the department Chairs to resolve budgetary issues and shortfalls.
- Engages regularly with other managers within the Centre to ensure that goals and objectives are aligned and that information and record-keeping is complete, consistent, and transparent to all.
- Ensures effective implementation of financial initiatives/programs/policies introduced by the Centre/Faculty/University; finds ways to integrate new financial policies efficiently within the Centre environment.
- Provides back-up to the managers overseeing Human Resources & Operations and Student Affairs and acts as training resource for other managers across the designated ASC.
Three (3) years' related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Arts at apply.arts [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is October 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Arts will only contact applicants selected for an interview.