The Manager oversees the daily operations, logistics and administration of the animal care program, and assures that the facility meets high standards of quality, is in compliance with best practices, SOPs, university policies, and CCAC guidelines governing the care and use of animals in research. This position is responsible for client service, facility inspections, project coordination, safety programs and compliance. It directly manages, provides leadership and direction to a large team of facility employees and participates in their hiring, training and review and provides daily support to the Associate Director.
- Manages, directs, and oversees the facility operation and personnel in line with the philosophy and the values of the department.
- Regularly inspects facility to ensure an efficient operation providing the highest quality of animal care and required sanitation standards in compliance with SOPs, university policies and CCAC guidelines
- Collaborates with veterinary services staff to assure health and welfare of animals.
- Interacts with research staff to understand and meet their needs.
- Oversees record keeping for the animal care program (animal room logs, census, maintenance logs, etc.).
- Ensures facility and equipment maintenance meets operational standards.
- Oversees attendance policy.
- Using metrics, regularly reviews needs and makes recommendations for staffing and equipment and/or services.
- Trains, orients and mentors facility employees and research staff, as needed.
- Ensures safety programs are followed.
- Oversees human resources related activities of facility staff, including interviewing, hiring, scheduling, performance assessment and any required reorganization or disciplinary actions.
- Oversees animal facility security.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures for animal care facilities. Recommends policies and procedures.
- Oversees inventory, procurement, repair and maintenance of animal care equipment.
- Inspects regularly animal facilities to ensure proper maintenance of infrastructure.
- Oversees the construction and renovation of animal facilities.
- Provides backup oversight of the animal care program in the absence of the Assistant Director Animal Care.
- Attends continuing education programs – remains up to date on contemporary information in laboratory animal science.
Three (3) years' related experience
Five (5) years' related experience
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now
Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.
The deadline to apply for this position is October 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Medicine will only contact applicants selected for an interview.