UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support for administrative and student affairs activities. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Responsible for documents and files of unit. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Coordinates activities related to admission, examinations, registration and graduation. Advises students and resolves problems in relation to their files. Edits documents for grammar and accuracy. Administers unit accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding academic and administrative policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate internal and external resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Collects and presents factual information relating to area of responsibility, and recommends procedural changes to improve the effective functioning of the unit. Collaborates with supervisor and other staff in establishing work priorities. Follows-up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Advises students in relation to their files. Resolves problems. Ensures the application of academic regulations and deadlines. Prepares clinical placement rotation and other student activity schedules, contacting the necessary officials to coordinate and verify placement.
- Produces reports and statistics. Takes note and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos, etc. Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports, including maintaining and updating web pages. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Signs certain documents.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Liaises with computer resources persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Bilingual (English and French, spoken and written) essential. The ability to liaise with internal and external clients and to work autonomously and as part of a team in a fast-paced, changing environment. Demonstrates professionalism and discretion. Proven ability to work under tight deadlines and to manage multiple priorities. Ability to anticipate possible difficulties, troubleshoot and implement solutions. Proven ability to work with and learn computer applications, databases and presentation software, as well as spreadsheets and word processing programs (e.g., the full Microsoft Office suite, including Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint; Zoom, Skype, Blackboard Collaborate; etc.). Proven ability to easily adapt to a changing environment. Demonstrates creativity and strong organizational skills. Previous experience in an Educational setting an asset. Experience in supporting project management an asset.
Testing may be required.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application online at http://www.mcgill.ca/medhr/positions-available/apply-now
Click on “APPLY NOW” and clearly indicate the reference number.
The deadline to apply for this position is October 16, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Medicine will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.