- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Compiles information in order to prepare grant applications, liaises with other institutions in this compilation, and coordinates their submission. Acts as a resource person concerning internal policies and procedures and those of granting agencies. Ensures information is complete and that the guidelines are followed.
- Maintains personnel files and completes documentation for payment, postings, appointments, promotions, nominations, sabbatical leaves, absences, and other administrative forms. Explains procedures to follow. Ensures that deadlines are met.
- Participates in activities related to student affairs such as admission, pre-registration, registration, financial aid and international student-related issues. Keeps track of enrolments, course changes, reporting student standings, loans, bursaries and scholarship awards. Refers problems outside of area of expertise to appropriate resource persons or official.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Ensures inventory and purchases supplies and equipment. Arranges for servicing of office equipment. Sells some items such as course notes and maintains cash box.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years related experience
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Education at staffing.education [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is November 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Education will only contact applicants selected for an interview.