UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Takes notes and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos. Signs certain documents.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Maintains supervisor's agenda. Sets up appointments, reminds supervisor of appointments and organizes schedule according to priorities.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
- Ensures inventory and purchases supplies and equipment. Arranges for servicing of office equipment. Sells some items such as course notes and maintains cash box.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve, multi-task, prioritize and organize work. Proven ability to draft correspondence, proofread text, edit documents and take accurate meeting minutes. Client-focused and service-oriented with a proven ability to provide excellent customer service to a variety of clients (general public, staff, students, school groups, etc) and deal effectively and diplomatically in sensitive situations. Demonstrated ability to be resourceful and able to perform under pressure, prioritize and meet deadlines. Knowledge of accounting principles and experience with financial tasks such as expense reports and journal transfers. Experience working in a Museum and/or with the general public an asset. Strong computing skills with ability to work in a PC environment using MS Office including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint as well as Banner (SIS, FIS HRIS), Lenel, POPS and Minerva. Web maintenance and Social Media updates experience an asset. First aid certification an asset. Excellent communication skills in French and English (read, written and spoken). Other speaking languages an asset.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Science:
McGill University, Faculty of Science, HR Services
853 Sherbrooke Street West (Dawson Hall), room 314
apo.science [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is November 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Science will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.