UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Administers unit accounts. Assists in the organization of unit activities. Responsible for documents and files of the unit. Maintains computerized information systems.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding the unit's policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Recommends procedural changes to enable unit to function more effectively. Collaborates with supervisor and others in establishing work priorities. Follows up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Administers accounts for unit. Prepares budgets or budget proposals. Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Corrects errors and follows up on problems. Records expenses and provides account statements on request.
- Maintains personnel files and completes documentation for payment, postings, appointments, promotions, nominations, sabbatical leaves, absences, and other administrative forms. Explains procedures to follow. Ensures that deadlines are met.
- Provides information to callers and visitors. Determines reason for call or visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Coordinates arrangements for events such as symposia and conferences. Makes travel arrangements.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Secretarial/Office Systems)
Four (4) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Administrative and finance experience. Demonstrated organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to multi-task. Proven initiative, determination and creativity in solving problems. Ability to work independently and manage multiple projects. Strong communication skills and ability to interact positively and effectively on a professional level with internal and external parties. Proven ability to prioritize and meet frequent and regular deadlines. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using Windows, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Banner, Minerva, e-mail and other related software. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
Please submit your electronic application via the web at https://engineering.medicine.mcgill.ca/ords/f?p=165 click on "Application Form" and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter as one document.
The deadline to apply for this position is October 16, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Engineering will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
McGill applicants, covered by the MUNACA/PSAC Collective Agreement, must apply to a regular MUNACA position within eight (8) working days of the date of publication to maintain internal priority.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.