UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, administers accounts. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Processes or monitors the processing of financial, accounting and payroll transactions. Examines, analyses, and reconciles accounting and financial records as well as documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans, and others. Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Performs various administrative tasks according to the needs of the unit.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers accounts. Acts as resource person and resolves problems. Prepares journal and ledger entries. Processes or monitors the processing of financial and accounting transactions. Examines and analyses accounting and financial records and documents such as bank statements, expenditures, budgets, loans and others.
- Ensures accuracy and compliance with University, government and granting agency guidelines, tax laws as well as accounting, reporting and payroll policies and procedures. Maintains up-to-date knowledge of these matters and gives explanations to researchers, staff and agencies.
- Sets up accounts, sub-accounts, and budgets. Approves expenditures, receives funds and processes deposits. Compiles and prepares material to be sent to bank. Reviews, verifies and processes expense reports, requisitions, claims, advances, savings bonds, invoicing and charges.
- Monitors and reconciles various accounts, statements, and reports. Identifies and analyses discrepancies and errors. Makes corrections, processes adjustments and follows up on problems. Audits outstanding items.
- Verifies the completeness and accuracy of documentation.
- Performs various administrative and clerical tasks according to the needs of the unit. Prepares correspondence related to the duties of the position. Liaises with appropriate resource persons.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
Three (3) years’ related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of basic accounting principles and processing expense reports. Must be client focused and service-oriented. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task. Ability to prioritize and meet tight deadlines. Proven accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to handle high volume of work. Demonstrated ability to provide information and assistance to academic and support staff in faculty. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word-processing, spreadsheets and databases, POPS, Banner FIS, HRIS, Crystal. Reports, Minerva and web navigation. English and French, spoken and written.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Arts at apply.arts [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is November 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Arts will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.