UNIONIZED POSITION COVERED BY THE MUNACA-PSAC BARGAINING UNIT
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs various accounting functions and secretarial duties. Authorizes various financial commitments according to established procedures. Verifies, analyses and records accounting transactions using automated financial systems. Investigates and follows-up on discrepancies or other accounting and administrative matters as required. Types documents, answers telephone, receives visitors, updates information systems, and maintains files.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Types various documents such as correspondence, manuscripts, reports, grant proposals, statistical tables, administrative forms and lists. Following instructions, arranges for publication of materials, such as the departmental handbook, web pages and publicity brochures. Formats according to specifications using standard computer applications. Proofreads for grammar and spelling. Composes routine correspondence.
- Ensures that all accounting documents conform to University standards with regard to required authorizations, accuracy of calculations, completeness of supporting documentation, and ensures the availability of funds.
- Receives, screens, directs and makes telephone calls; takes and relays messages. Arranges meetings and contacts participants regarding time, place and general purpose of the meeting. When requested, schedules and arranges appointments and makes travel arrangements.
- Performs data entry to update management, patient or student record computerized information systems. Produces lists and reports using appropriate software. Keeps up to date with and implements standard computer applications. May act as a resource person for standard office software.
- Analyses different accounting or payroll files and makes any required changes. Opens new files as required.
- Authorizes or refuses financial commitments according to established procedures. Calculates, prepares and records disbursements and flow of funds and completes required documents. Performs cashier functions. Collects cash received in areas of the unit. Verifies deposits and taxes.
- Completes various administrative forms in relation to area of activity and, as required, sends to other administrative units or external organizations. Carries out routine administrative tasks such as taking inventory of and ordering office supplies, returning merchandise, and issuing keys. Reserves rooms for courses and seminars and other events, and books equipment and other services; makes changes when requested and/or necessary.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
DEP (Accounting or Secretarial)
Two (2) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
Good knowledge of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Abeldent an asset. Excellent customer service skills and professionalism. Ability to multitask. Strong communication skills and the ability to work independently and in a team environment. Fluent in English and French, spoken and written.
This position is a Dental Receptionist.
Student & Staff Dental Clinic: You will be managing 4 dental chairs daily (2 dentists, 2 hygienists). There is a high volume of phone calls and emails. The ability to complete tasks in a timely manner is expected and required. Filling the dentists’ schedules for the following day and maintaining patient records are also additional tasks. The incumbent will work closely with Labs to ensure deliveries are made promptly before the patient’s next appointment.
Undergraduate Teaching Clinic: Incumbent will be managing the payments and patients’ records for 40 dental students and their patients. There is a high volume of phone calls/voicemails and will require prompt replies. Other miscellaneous administrative tasks will be required.
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to the Faculty of Dentistry at hr.dentistry [at] mcgill.ca
The deadline to apply for this position is February 25, 2020 at 5:00 PM.
*Current employees: please indicate your McGill ID number in your application.*
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, the Faculty of Dentistry will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
The masculine is used to lighten the text, without prejudice to the feminine form.
In order to maintain internal priority, McGill employees must apply within the delays specified in the MUNACA collective agreement for positions covered by the collective agreement or according to the personnel policies for positions covered by the personnel policies.
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, accessibilityrequest.hr [at] mcgill.ca or 514-398-3711.