Why become a Homework Zone mentor?
- Letter of attestation from the Dean of Students for volunteers who complete at least 30 hours (includes orientation and travel time)
- Bus/metro tickets are available on demand
- Contribute to an innovative academic and socio-emotional enrichment program for children who need the extra support
- Students are trained and supported in their work as mentors and tutors by SEDE and professionals from the education field
- Gain skills in communication, leadership, teaching and time management
- Workshops and reflection events are organized throughout the year to help mentors get the most out of their experience
- Work with other McGill students and explore the Montreal community beyond McGill!
Hear it from our student mentors, coordinators, mentees and partners as they present the highlights of their experiences with the Homework Zone program, in this video:
The time commitment is approx 3 hours per week (including travel time to and from the school) for a duration of 10 weeks over one semester. Volunteering in the Fall semester runs from the last week of September to the first week of December; volunteering in the Winter semester runs from the last week of January to the first week of April.
Choose the day of the week and timeslot that works best for you:
- Tuesday 2-5pm
- Wednesday 2-5pm OR 2:45-5pm
- Thursday 2-5pm
All volunteers must attend the mandatory Homework Zone orientation. The orientation for the Winter 2020 semester will take place on Saturday, January 25th, 12-3:30pm.