McGill University Bookstore Returns Policy
Please Note: This policy applies only to items purchased in store. For our online returns policy please consult: www.bookstore.mcgill.ca/returns-policy.
General Return Policy:
- Most items may be returned or exchanged within 10 working days of original purchase.
- The time period for returns for clothing purchases may be extended upon request in the pre-Christmas period from December 1 until January 15.
- At the start of the fall and winter semesters in September and January the ten working day return limit is extended for textbooks until five (5) working days after deadlines for class changes and drops. Proof of the dropped course from the Registrar is required. Note, the day after you drop your course online, you can print an unofficial transcript from Minerva- a "W" (withdrawal) will be shown on your transcript, for dropped courses.
- Course Materials (textbooks and coursepack) purchased during exam periods are final sale. Exact dates will be posted in the store and on the Bookstore website.
- Customers are responsible for checking the condition of their books at the time of purchase. We are not responsible for the condition of the book once it has left the store.
- All returns are at the discretion of store personnel.
Conditions of return:
- You must have your original cash register receipt.
- Merchandise must be in PERFECT condition. Returns are accepted based on the standards set by the publishers. Publishers will not accept any books with even just the slightest defect or damage. This means NO refunds or exchanges if book is fully or partially read, used, marked, bent, torn or if the spine is cracked. It must be perfect! It is beyond the Bookstore's control if the publishers’ policies affect your return. If one of these policies affects your return and is beyond the Bookstore’s control, the Bookstore will be happy to provide you with the publisher's phone number.
- Merchandise must be in original packaging. No refunds or exchanges if shrink wrap is removed.
- Garments must be unworn and in mint condition with all original hang-tags attached.
- All refunds will be processed to the tender used for the purchase.
- Must present Student ID or McGill ID or other suitable ID, eg, driver’s licence.
With the exception of sale merchandise, which is non-returnable, all defective merchandise will be replaced. If the Bookstore does not have stock of an item, and cannot replace the item within a reasonable amount of time, a full refund will be issued.
No Refunds or Exchanges on:
- Coursepacks are non-refundable even if the course is dropped. A coursepack may be exchanged if store personnel are satisfied that the coursepack was incorrectly purchased for the wrong course and proof of enrolment is provided. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- Shrink-wrapped books or books containing tapes or software are non-returnable if opened (this policy has been set by the publishers not the Bookstore).
- Special Orders
- Sale or discounted items, or any items marked "final sale"
- Calculators, printer cartridges, and electronic goods if packaging has been opened or tampered with in any way
- Confectionery items
- Graduation frames, or rings
- Study notes and charts such as Cliffs Notes, Toronto Notes, Schaums and Perma charts
- Examination and preparation books/disks: LSAT, GMAT, GRE, SAT, MSCE, MCSD, CNE MCAT etc
- Medical instruments, dissecting kits, safety goggles, underwear and swimwear cannot be returned because of health regulations