Professor and Chair
T: 514-398-7657 | viacheslav.adamchuk [at] mcgill.ca (Email) | Macdonald-Stewart Building, MS1-028 | Website | vadamchuk
BS (National Agricultural Univ. of Ukraine)
MS, PhD (Purdue Univ.)
Originally from Kyiv, Ukraine, Dr. Adamchuk obtained a mechanical engineering degree from the National Agricultural University of Ukraine (currently National University of Life and Environmental Sciences of Ukraine), located in his hometown. Later, he received both MS and PhD degrees in Agricultural and Biological Engineering from Purdue University (USA). In 2000, Dr. Adamchuk began his academic career as a faculty member in the Department of Biological Systems Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USA). Ten years later, he assumed his current position in the Department of Bioresource Engineering at McGill University (Canada), while retaining his adjunct status at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Currently, he serves as the Chair of the Bioresource Engineering Department. In addition, he is Canada’s representative to the International Society of Precision Agriculture.
Awards and Recognitions
- CSBE/SCGAB Glen Downing Award for outstanding work in industry, teaching, research, or extension in the area of machinery systems, or bioenergy systems, 2019
- ASABE Standard Development Award for ASABE/ISO 12188-2:2012 "Positioning and Guidance in Agriculture - Part 2: Testing satellite-based auto-guidance systems" standard, 2016
- Susan J. Rosowski Professorship in recognition of distinguished scholarship and creative activity, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2009-2010
- Pierre C. Robert Precision Agriculture Young Scientist Award, Ninth International Conference on Precision Agriculture, Denver, Colorado, 2008
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Biological Systems Engineering, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Lincoln, Nebraska, 2010-2025
- Associate Member of the Center for Intelligent Machines (CIM) at McGill University, 2015-present
- International Commission of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (CIGR), Section III: Plant Production board member, 2018-2022.
- Editorial Board of Computers and Electronics in Agriculture Journal, 2009-present
- Editorial Board of Precision Agriculture Journal, 2010-present
- Associate Editor of Canadian Biosystems Engineering Journal, 2018-present
Dr. Adamchuk leads a Precision Agriculture and Sensor Systems (PASS) research team that focuses on developing and deploying soil and plant sensing technologies to enhance the economic and environmental benefits of precision agriculture. His team has designed and evaluated a fleet of proximal sensor systems capable of measuring physical, chemical and biological attributes directly in a field. Most sensors produce geo-referenced data to quantify spatial soil/plant heterogeneity, which may be used to prescribe differentiated treatments according to local needs. Through studies on sensor fusion and data clustering, he investigated the challenges faced by early adopters of precision agriculture. Through his outreach activities, Dr. Adamchuk has taught multiple programs dedicated to a systems approach in adopting smart farming technologies around the world.
- Integrated proximal sensing of soils and crops.
- Development of crop quality/quantity estimation methods using UAV imagery.
- AI-driven decision support tools for alfalfa’s winter survival and persistency.
- Model development for ground-engaging tools using real-time numerical terramechanics and discrete-element method.
- Agricultural multi-layer data fusion to support cloud-based agricultural advisory services.
- Toward a more sustainable Macdonald Farm: Assessment and Strategic Planning.
View a list of current publications
Adamchuk, V., A. Biswas, L. Qi, M. Lecler, B. Sudarsan, and W. Ji. 2019. Apparatus for analyzing a sample of granular material. Canadian Patent Application No. 3,003,118, United States Patent No. 10,495,568.
Adamchuk, V.I., A. Pouliot, and T. Stanhope. 2019. Steering wheel adapter for agricultural vehicle vision guidance system. United States Design Patent No. D863,367, Canadian Industrial Design Patent No. 163,371, European Industrial Design Patent EP002938100.
Adamchuk, V.I., A. Pouliot, and T. Stanhope. 2018. Guidance system and steering control device for an agricultural vehicle. United States Patent No. 10,104,827.
Adamchuk, V.I., N. Dhawale, F. Rene-Laforest, S. Prasher, and A. Pouliot. 2016. Soil analysis apparatus, method, and system having a displaceable blade assembly and sensor. US Patent No. 9,389,214.
Adamchuk, V.I., A.V. Skotnikov, and J.D. Speichinger. 2006. Instrumented deep tillage implement. US Patent No. 7,028,554, Canadian Patent No. 2,473,368.
Adamchuk V.I., M.T. Morgan, and D.R. Ess. 2002. System and method for automated measurement of soil pH. US Patent No. 6,356,830.