The Department of Biochemistry offers Teaching Assistant opportunities on a term basis. Teaching Assistant positions at McGill University are unionized and available to graduate students only. For more information about the Teaching Assistant Union, visit the AGSEM website.
The fixed hourly rate is $33.03. In addition, a 4% vacation indemnity will be added to your hourly rate.
Available Positions and Application Guidelines:
In order to be considered for Teaching Assistantship, please ensure the following steps are completed entirely and on time.
HOW TO APPLY: “Only registered McGill students can be hired as TAs”
Make sure you apply as either internal or external, based on your current status in Workday (at McGill)
· Before you proceed as an internal candidates
· You must log into the VPN before logging into Workday to access the functionality described below. Also, keep in mind that Two-factor Authentication (2FA) is mandatory for VPN use.
· A McGill Graduate Student with an active job(s)/contract(s) in Workday > applies as an Internal Candidate
· Review the information Applying for Teaching Assistants Positions - Guide for McGill Graduate Students before you apply as external.
· A McGill Graduate Student that has held previous jobs/contracts at the university and currently does not have an active job in Workday > applies as an External Candidate
All candidates will have to fill out the questionnaire and upload relevant documents.
Positions are posted three times/year, by the following dates:
|Positions held during
|Posted by AND NO LATER THAN
|Deadlines to Apply
|May 31, for a minimum duration of fifteen (15) working days
15 working days after posting date
|November 1, for a minimum duration of fifteen (15) working days
|March 31, for a minimum duration of fifteen (15) working day
TA positions for fall 2023
BIOC 311: Metabolic Biochemistry
BIOC 320: Laboratory Methods in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology 2
BIOC 450: Protein Structure and Function
BIOC 454: Nucleic Acid
@mcgill.ca ACCOUNTS FOR NEWLY HIRED STUDENT WORKERS: Newly hired student workers: will be provisioned with an @mcgill.ca email account. See the Onboarding Guide for New Employees.
According to the new regulations every Course Coordinator must meet with his/her TA and discuss the workload as well as detailed functions that the student will be performing during his/her appointment. The Workload Form should be signed by the Course Coordinator and the student before the end of the add/drop period. All later changes made to the agreement between the Course Coordinator and the student should be included in the revised Workload Form and resubmitted. The student and the Course Coordinator should keep one copy each; one copy will be filed in the student employee record and another will be sent to Human Resources.
zhannat.sakijanova [at] mcgill.ca (Zhannat Sakijanova)
Student Affairs Administrator
Department of Biochemistry