The Department of Biochemistry offers 23 TA positions per year. Teaching Assistant positions at McGill are unionized. For more information about the TA union please visit the AGSEM website.
The full list of available positions, job descriptions and required qualifications will be posted on the CAPS website.
The hourly rates are:
- $25.74 as of January 1, 2012
- $26.51 as of January 1, 2013
- $26.83 as of January 1, 2014
These rates include 4% vacation pay. As per Collective Agreement, 2.5% union dues will be withheld by AGSEM.
- On April 30 for Fall and Full Year courses
- On October 15 for Winter courses
The positions are posted for a period of 30 days. For available TA positions please go to the CAPS website.
Dates for the supplementary postings for each term will be announced on this page.
In order to apply for the positions, please log in on the CAPS website and submit your application online. Please make sure to fill out all required documents and upload them together with your application. If you encounter any problems or if you have any questions related to the online application process, please contact CAPS desk service. Please note that Teaching Assistantships are open only to currently registered McGill students.
Every course coordinator must meet with his/her TAs and discuss the workload as well as detailed functions that the student will be performing during his/her appointment. The workload form [link: http://tas.agsem-aeedem.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/WF-english.pdf] should be signed by the instructor and the student before the end of the add/drop period. All later changes made to the agreement between the course instructor and the student should be included in the revised workload form and resubmitted. The student and the instructor should keep one copy each; one copy will be filed in the student employee record and another will be sent to Human Resources.
- AGSEM Collective Agreement http://tas.agsem-aeedem.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Signed-AGSEM-30-june-2014-collective-agreement-english-version.pdf]
- TA Workload Form http://tas.agsem-aeedem.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/WF-english.pdf]
- Biochemistry TA Application Form ta_application_form_2.pdf
- AGSEM Membership Form ta_union_form.pdf
For more information please contact:
undergrad [dot] biochem [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Antonio Tarenzo)
Student Affairs Coordinator
Department of Biochemistry, Room 905, McIntyre Medical Sciences Building