Frequently asked questions

How do I identify a potential supervisor at McGill?

Please refer to the list of “Departments, Institutes and Schools” on McGill’s Faculty of Arts’ website ( Each unit’s website contains faculty profiles and contact information.  Your proposed supervisor must hold a permanent, full-time appointment in the Faculty of Arts. Supervision by faculty lecturers or retired faculty members is not permitted. Your proposed supervisor may be an affiliated member of another Faculty, but his or her primary appointment must be in the Faculty of Arts.

My project is interdisciplinary. Is it possible to have joint supervision?

McGill will only officially recognize one supervisor who must hold a permanent, full-time appointment in the Faculty of Arts. You may, however, opt to have a second, unofficial supervisor. This secondary supervisor may come from any department or Faculty, but will have no official status.

May part of my teaching be done in a Faculty other than Arts?

No. All your teaching must take place in the Faculty of Arts.

I completed my PhD at McGill. Am I eligible to apply for the Mellon Fellowship?

Scholars who did or are currently doing graduate or postdoctoral work at McGill are strongly discouraged from applying. The Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowships aim to attract scholars from outside McGill.

My project is in Music. Am I eligible to apply?

No. The Faculty of Music is not part of the Faculty of Arts at McGill University.

Do I need to send you a confirmation of endorsement from my proposed supervisor?

No. Endorsement procedures are sent to all faculty members in Arts.  Proposed supervisors simply need to upload their full letter of support to your Academic Jobs Online application before the final deadline; they do not need to notify our office ahead of time.  Applications without proper endorsement will not be considered.

How should I submit my transcripts?

Please upload a copy of your transcripts to your Academic Jobs Online application by the November deadline. These should be transcripts that were issued by the Registrar’s Office to you, not your academic record downloaded from the online system. At a later date we may ask you to have your university send us your official transcripts directly. Successful applicants will be required to have official transcripts sent to the University.

My university does not issue graduate transcripts. What should I do?

You must submit a letter from your Department Chair, Graduate Director, or Registrar’s Office stating that the university does not issue graduate transcripts, and that you are in satisfactory standing in your program (if still a student), or specifying the date on which you completed your degree requirements.

When will I find out if my application was successful?

Applicants selected for the Fellowship will be notified by the end of February.

We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University and the Mellon Postdoctoral Fellowship. However, only those selected for the Fellowship will be contacted.

Back to top