Recruitment under the International Mobility Program

When appointing a Foreign National under the International Mobility Program (IMP), the employer must apply for an offer of employment number on Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)’s Employer’s portal, and must pay the employer compliance fee.

The IMP encompasses all streams of Work permit applications that are LMIA-Exempt. This includes, but is not limited to:


Trade Agreements

North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

NAFTA allows for simplified temporary entry procedures for professionals, including university professors. This exemption applies only for temporary positions and should not be employed for tenured positions.

NAFTA provisions are restricted to Citizens of the United States of American, and Mexico. Permanent residents of one of the countries stated above are subject to the procedures under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP).

Canadian Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)

CCFTA is similar to NAFTA and include citizens of Chile.


Visiting professors

The appointment must not exceed two academic years and the applicant must retain a position abroad.


Guest lecturers

The lecturer appointment must not exceed one academic term (four months).



Eminent individuals

This exemption category applies to foreign nationals who will bring a significant benefit to the community. Applicants under this category must be leaders in their fields and must be recognized as such by their peers.


Research award recipient

The applicant must be the direct recipient of an academic award involving work and remuneration. This exemption is also applicable to research award paid by foreign institutions.



Post-doctoral fellows

The applicant must hold a Ph.D. or its equivalent and be appointed to a time-limited position. McGill University Guidelines stipulate that this period cannot exceed five years.


Youth exchange programs

Falling under the International Experience Canada program, this exemption includes several other organizations such as Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP) or International Association for the Exchange of Students for Technical Experience and targets foreign youth.



For questions regarding the applicable program or procedures for hiring an academic foreign national, please contact immigration.apo [at] (Immigration Services) in the APO.

Inquiries related to post-doctoral fellows, Graduate Research Trainee (GRT), and international students should be directed to International Student Services.