On this PageStaffing Policy | Advertising | Selection Process | Discussion - Dean | Discussion - Associate Provost | Hiring with Tenure | Start Date | Offer | Terms | Acceptance or Refusal | Relocation | Submitting a Tenure-Track Dossier | Note ||
The employment of academic and librarian staff at McGill University is the prerogative of the Board of Governors, which acts on the recommendation of the Principal as conveyed through the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic), the Dean and the Chair.
- No department or unit may begin recruitment until the Dean has justified the need for the position and written approval has been issued by the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic). The formal approval for the staffing plan will include the Recruiting Licence to be used for the position.
- Appointments are normally made at the most junior level. Any proposed exceptions must be brought forward to the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic).
- Approval for replacements resulting from negative reappointment or tenure decisions will be automatic. However, formal approval must be requested from the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic) prior to advertising for replacements. A new Recruitment Licence will be issued for each replacement.
- Retiring staff members will not necessarily be replaced.
For advertising requirements please refer to Advertising Ranked Academic Positions.
Applications should be screened by an appropriate departmental committee, and letters of reference sought. A short list of candidates is selected for interview. (See Employment Equity Guidelines regarding the selection of candidates from designated groups.)
Immigration requirements must be met. Refer to Immigration Procedures.
When a candidate has been identified, questions such as starting salary should be discussed with the Dean.
The Dean must discuss the recruitment with the Associate Provost (Budget & Resources).
The Dean must also submit a recruitment dossier, along with a covering memo giving specifics of the offer. See Required documents for recruiting tenure-track hires
The Dean must discuss the recruitment with the Associate Provost.
All recruitments with tenure must be approved by the University Tenure Committee for Recruitment (UTCR).
The candidate must not be given a formal written offer mentioning "tenure" until the Board of Governors has approved the UTCR's recommendation.
For requirements for the recruitment dossier for hires with tenure, see Recruiting & Hiring Requiring UTCR Approval.
Departments are advised to use August 1st (or January 1st) as the start-date for all new hires.
An offer letter may be issued to a candidate once written approval has been obtained from the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic) or the Principal. Letters may vary to suit the unit, however all letters must contain the core information relating to salary, duration of appointment and conditions of appointment. See our Offer Letter Template below. The following points must be covered:
- The letter must state that an appointment becomes official only upon approval by the Board of Governors.
- If the department wishes to make an offer to a candidate who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, Immigration Procedures must be followed. The letter of offer must contain the clause contained in Section IV of the Immigration Procedures page.
"Alternative Compensation Arrangements"
Deans, Chairs and Directors must be aware that, irrespective of the availability of resources within the unit, NO alternative compensation arrangements (e.g. payment of tuition or daycare, mortgages beyond the limits of our standard policy, etc.) are to be offered without the prior written consent of the Principal.
The term of appointment must conform to that specified for the rank as found in the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Tenure Track and Tenured Academic Staff or the Regulations Relating to the Employment of Librarian Staff.
The Department and/or Faculty must send the Academic Personnel Office a copy of the candidate's acceptance or refusal of the offer.
When corresponding with prospective new academic or librarian staff, Deans and Chairs must state that contributions towards moving expenses and travel are covered in accordance with the service outlined in McGill University Relocation Service.
The University will reimburse travel and moving expenses as long as the staff member has initiated and coordinated all aspects of the relocation via the Relocation Administrator in Human Resources.
The following documents must be provided to the Academic Personnel Office for all new tenure-track and Special Category hires.
|Stage||Document to Submit to APO|
For the Dossier to be Approved by the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic)
NOTE: Recruitments with TenureThe documents listed on the UTCR Dossier Requirements page must also be submitted.
After the Dossier has been Approved by the Provost & Vice-Principal (Academic)
NOTE: In the event of a refusalThe Faculty or Department must inform the Academic Personnel Office and send a copy of the refusal of offer by the candidate.
Assistant Professor (Special Category)
This page should be viewed in conjunction with the Tenure-Stream Recruitment to Appointment Flow-Chart so as not to miss any important steps in this process.