McGill University is committed to fulfilling its mission within an institutional environment that embraces equity and diversity. The University seeks to be proactive in attracting suitably qualified representatives of certain designated groups, as identified by federal and provincial legislation, as well as McGill’s Employment Equity Policy. These groups include women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic and visible minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity.
Employment equity recruitment guidelines are to be followed by all units in the course of hiring ranked academic staff (tenure track and contract academic staff).
Each academic unit that is recruiting ranked academic staff must:
- Take steps to attract applications from suitably qualified members of the designated groups.
- Include the following Equity Statement (with the mandatory immigration statement) in any position advertisement:
McGill University is committed to diversity and equity in employment. It welcomes applications from: women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity, visible minorities, and others who may contribute to diversification. INSERT the current English Immigration Clause found here (all ranked recruitments)
L'Université McGill souscrit à la diversité et à l'équité en matière d'emploi. Elle accueille favorablement les demandes d'emploi: des femmes, des peuples Autochtones, des minorités ethniques, des personnes handicapées, des personnes de toutes orientations et identités sexuelles, des minorités visibles, et d'autres personnes qui pourraient contribuer à une plus grande diversité. INSERT the current French Immigration Clause found here (all ranked recruitments)
- Your acknowledgment to applicants should contain the following paragraphs:
McGill University is committed to diversity and equity in employment. To this end, I draw your attention to McGill's Equity & Diversity Survey. We invite you to complete this survey online.
If you choose to complete the survey, please use the following reference number [insert reference number]. Please complete the survey by [insert date].
- Please provide job applicants with the employment equity reference number that relates to the position for which they have applied. For tenure-stream recruitments this number can be found here. This is particularly important in cases where a unit is conducting more than one job search in a given year. (For Contract Academic Staff recruitments, units are asked to create their own unique equity reference numbers for each position.)
- Give applicants a deadline for completing the survey.
- The hiring unit shall request from the Academic Personnel Office a summary of the survey data (in the form of an Excel spreadsheet) when it is ready to complete the Employment Equity Data Report.
- Once a search committee has established its shortlist, it must confirm that at least one candidate on that list is a member of a designated equity group. This determination is to be made by consulting the equity data summary, which search committees obtained from Academic Personnel.
- If the shortlist does not include a member of a designated equity group, search committees are required to reexamine their applicant pool to identify any candidate who is a known member of a designated group who ranks among the top ten of all applicants. Any such candidate(s) should be added to the shortlist. This addition would not require eliminating any candidates on the original shortlist.
- Chairs of search committees will share their shortlists with the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic), indicating whether the list includes at least one member of a designated equity group. If it does not, the chair of the search committee must provide assurance that no candidate in the top ten of the recruitment pool is a member of a designated group. Search committee chairs should send this documentation to the academic [dot] personnel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Academic Personnel Office) as soon as possible after the shortlist is decided and the committee-level equity review is completed.
- The Associate Provost (Policies, Procedures and Equity) will review documentation provided by search committees and will confirm to committee chairs that equity requirements have been met, or request that the shortlist be expanded to include additional candidates.
- Subsequently in the recruitment process, the Dean’s recommendation for a new appointment must be accompanied by both the Employment Equity Data Report and a copy of the correspondence described above, including the initial submission by the search committee chair to the academic [dot] personnel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Academic Personnel Office) regarding the composition of search committee shortlists and any subsequent exchanges between the chair and the Associate Provost. This information will be required before the Provost and Vice-Principal Academic will act upon a recommendation for a new hire.