Fitness Access McGill (FAM) is a program that helps and supports McGill students with physical disabilities, chronic illness, or other impairments access physical activity opportunities. FAM is a collaboration between McGill Athletics & Recreation and the Department of Kinesiology & Physical Education, along with Student Accessibility and Achievement. In the FAM: Online edition participants will receive a custom workout plan tailored to their bodies, have access to drop-in virtual group training sessions, and will learn skills to assist in maintaining a physically active lifestyle. This program is accepting 30 participants for the Winter 2021 semester.
- McGill student (undergraduate or graduate)
- Student with a physical disability, chronic illness, or other impairment that currently impacts access to the gym or fitness
- Student is interested in reducing barriers to physical activity on campus
FAM: Online programming
- Individualized assessment and exercise prescription with a certified kinesiologist.
- Five to six one-on-one sessions with a trained McGill Kinesiology student to build strategies and skills to maintain physical activity beyond FAM.
- Virtual group exercise sessions supervised by a trained McGill Kinesiology student.
- Beginning the week of January 18, 2021, the program will run for a duration of 8-10 weeks.
- The program is provided at a cost of $25 for students for the Winter 2021 semester.
- Commitment to attend one to two virtual group exercise sessions and one virtual skill building session each week for the duration of program.
- The FAM Winter 2021 program will be available entirely online with the option to be integrated into the McGill athletics and recreation facilities depending on availability and interest.
- Optional: Provide your feedback during and after the program to allow us to improve the FAM program via a research study linked with FAM.
If you would like to participate in the program please fill out the application form for the FAM: Online program. The details of the application form will only be sent to Aaron Fellows, the lead personal trainer from McGill Athletics and Recreation, and shared with the staff involved in the development of this program.