Jian Hui Wu
Assistant Professor, Department of Oncology, McGill University
Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research
Jewish General Hospital
3755 Côte Ste-Catherine Road
Montreal, Quebec H3T 1E2
Tel.: 514-340-8222 ext. 2148
jian [dot] h [dot] wu [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)
Expertise: Integrating Chemistry and Biology in 4-dimensional (4D)
Summary of Research Activities
My research focuses on the development of methods in Computational Biology & Chemistry, as well as the application of molecular modeling techniques to problems in Chemistry and Biology.
My recent research involves:
● Development of computer-based virtual screening techniques for hit discovery and novel methodology for the design of selective small-molecule modulators of specific protein/protein interactions.
● Studies of the structural and dynamic impact of drug-resistant mutations in drug targets, such as androgen receptor and EGFR, as well as design of small molecules to overcome mutation-related drug resistance in targeted cancer therapy.
● Discovery of potent small-molecule inhibitors of -glutamylcysteine synthetase and novel inhibitors of SARS main proteinase.
● Discovery of selective small-molecule modulators of Keap1/Nrf-2 pathways as novel inducers of phase II detoxifying enzymes.
● Optimization of initial hits by Organic Chemistry and development of protein family-oriented chemical library.
Hamilton D, Wu JH, Batist G. Structure-based identification of novel classes of human -glutamylcysteine synthetase inhibitors active in deleting glutathione in tumor cells. Mol Pharmacol. 2007 Apr;71(4):1140-7. Epub 2007 Jan 17.
Rafei M, Wu JH, Annabi B, Lejeune L, Francois M, Galipeau J. A GMCSF & IL15 fusokine leads to paradoxical immunosuppression in vivo via asymmetrical JAK/STAT signalling through the IL15 receptor complex. Blood. 2007 Mar 1;109(5):2234-42. Epub 2006 Nov 2.
Liu B, Bernard B, Wu JH. Impact of EGFR point mutations on the sensitivity to gefitinib: insight from comparative structural analyses and molecular dynamics simulations, PROTEINS: Structure, Function and Bioinformatics, published online: 2006 Nov 1;65(2):331-46 (published online: Aug 22, 2006). DOI: 10.1002/prot.21111.