All students registered in an undergraduate program on the Downtown (McGill) campus are registered members of the accredited Students' Society of McGill University, affectionately known as SSMU. SSMU acts as your representation on key issues inside and outside of the campus. There are six elected executives of the SSMU who represent all 20,000-plus undergrads on the Downtown campus. There is a legislative council that meets with representatives from faculty associations and other student groups around campus on a bi-weekly basis. This council of thirty-six members meets to discuss SSMU business.
The SSMU runs over 200 clubs and 21 services and provides a great deal of extra-curricular opportunities for students to balance a life of study with a life of play, and an opportunity to meet other students. The organization also provides event programming like freshman orientation (Orientation Week/Frosh), Activities Night, a holiday fair, movie screenings, Homecoming Bash, concerts, and speakers. Each faculty and each department also has organizations dedicated to providing extra-curricular involvement for their students.
Situated on the Downtown campus, the SSMU operates a five-floor building including a student lounge, cafeteria, campus bar, club office space, and a campus multipurpose venue.
The SSMU offices are located at 3600 McTavish Street, suite 1200 and operate between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. during the year.
For more information regarding student government at McGill you can contact:
- President: pres [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Vice President Clubs and Services: cs [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Vice President Internal Affairs: internal [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Vice President External Affairs: external [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Vice President Finance and Operations: operations [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
- Vice President University Affairs: ua [at] ssmu [dot] mcgill [dot] ca
Or visit the website at www.ssmu.mcgill.ca.
Welcome to McGill and we look forward to representing your interests.