Faculty of Arts Course Overlap Policy
You will not receive additional credit toward your degree for any course that overlaps in content with a course for which you have already received credit at McGill, CEGEP, at another university, or Advanced Placement exams, Advanced Level results, International Baccalaureate Diploma, or French Baccalaureate. It is your responsibility to consult with a faculty adviser in Arts OASIS or the department offering the course as to whether or not credit can be obtained and to be aware of exclusion clauses specified in the course description in this publication. Please refer to the following website for specific information about advanced standing credits and McGill course exemptions: www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/plan/transfer.
Credit for statistics courses will be given with the following stipulations:
- Credit will be given for ONLY ONE of the following introductory statistics courses: AEMA 310, BIOL 373, ECON 227D1/D2, ECON 257D1/D2, GEOG 202, MATH 203, MGCR 271, MGCR 273, PSYC 204, SOCI 350.
- Credit will be given for ONLY ONE of the following intermediate statistics courses: AEMA 411, ECON 227D1/D2, ECON 257D1/D2, GEOG 351, MATH 204, MGCR 272, PSYC 305, SOCI 461. Only when ECON 227D1/D2 or ECON 257D1/D2 is combined with PSYC 305 will credit be given for both courses.
- Students who have already received credit for MATH 324 or MATH 357 will NOT receive credit for any of the following: AEMA 310, AEMA 411, BIOL 373, ECON 227D1/D2, ECON 257D1/D2, GEOG 202, GEOG 351, MATH 203, MATH 204, MGCR 271, MGCR 272, MGCR 273, PSYC 204, PSYC 305, SOCI 350.
- For 500-level statistics courses not listed above, students must consult a program adviser to ensure that no significant overlap exists. Where such overlap exists with a course for which the student has already received credit, credit for the 500-level course will not be allowed.
- PSYC 204 may not be taken if a grade of 75% was received in an equivalent course completed at CEGEP.
Credit for computer courses will be subject to the following restrictions: