Deferred Examinations: Faculty of Engineering
A detailed letter in support of the application must be entered in the "reason(s) for deferral" section of the application on Minerva.
You must submit supporting documentation to the Engineering Student Centre (Frank Dawson Adams Building, Room 22) within one week of the missed examination.
For requests due to medical reasons, a deferral is granted only if the nature of the illness is serious enough to justify absence from the examination. The date of the missed exam and the nature of the illness must be clearly indicated on the medical certificate. Medical certificates stating "medical reasons" and illegible documents will not be accepted.
If you miss your examination for reasons other than medical reasons, you must submit supporting documentation from the appropriate authority, which covers the date of the missed exam, where applicable.
You are required to frequently verify the status of your deferred application on Minerva to determine whether any additional information is required by the Student Affairs Office, Engineering Student Centre.
You will receive an email notification once a deferred examination application decision has been made.
- Deferred exams for courses administered by the Faculty of Engineering are written during the final examination period the next time the course is offered, excluding the summer term. The final examination schedule is available at www.mcgill.ca/students.
- The following courses are administered by the Faculty of Engineering: CHEM 233, COMP 208, EPSC 221, MATH 262, MATH 263, MATH 264, MATH 270, MATH 271, MATH 363, MATH 381, and PHYS 271.
- If taking the deferred exam will delay your graduation, you should indicate this by adding a comment in your deferral application on Minerva. The Student Affairs Office may grant an earlier deferral exam in such cases, and will notify you via your McGill email.
- For each deferred examination that is approved, an L (deferred) grade will appear on your record, but will not appear on official transcripts after the final grade has been determined. The grade you will receive in the deferred examination will replace the grade that you would have received in the original final exam. An L grade will be replaced by a J if you miss the NEXT deferred or regular examination in the course, whichever happens first.
- The format of the deferred examination will not necessarily be identical to the original final examination of the same course. You are responsible for contacting the professor if you require information about the deferred examination format.
- If you have written your final examination, you may not request that the exam be deferred.
- You are not permitted to redo any portion of the coursework such as assignments, projects, labs, midterms, quizzes, etc. (i.e., all grades previously obtained will be calculated with the final grade of the deferred examination to determine the final grade).
- Once a deferred exam has been granted, you may write no more than six final examinations per term. This will give you sufficient time during the term and the examination period to properly prepare for your deferred examination(s).
- The Faculty of Engineering does not grant extensions to deferred examinations.
The supplemental/deferred examination schedule is available at www.mcgill.ca/students/exams/supdefer.
School of Continuing Studies Courses
School of Continuing Studies Courses
Deferred exams for courses administered by the School of Continuing Studies are offered during the next term's final examination period. The final examination schedule for School of Continuing Studies courses is available at www.mcgill.ca/conted/studentres/records/exams.
For courses offered in the Summer term, you must submit a written request (with supporting documentation) for deferred examinations to the Engineering Student Centre (FDA 22) no later than four days after the date of the missed final examination.
For courses administered by the Faculty of Engineering, the deferred examination is written during the final examination period the next time the course is offered. For non-Engineering courses, the date will be determined by Summer Studies and you will be notified via your McGill email.
The final examination schedule for Summer Studies courses is available at www.mcgill.ca/summer/finalexams.