Note: This is the 20122013 edition of the eCalendar. Update the year in your browser's URL bar for the most recent version of this page, or click here to jump to the newest eCalendar.

Final Examinations: Deferred Examinations

If, for serious reasons such as illness or family affliction, you have not written one or more examinations, you may receive the permission of your Faculty Student Affairs Office or Service Point (for students in the Faculties of Arts or Science) upon providing supporting documentation to defer the examination to the next deferred/supplemental examination period, except for courses administered by the Faculty of Engineering (where students write the examination the next time the course is given); see Deferred Examinations: Faculty of Engineering. You should provide supporting evidence such as an appropriate medical report as soon as possible. You should be aware that the University will only defer examinations for compelling reasons, verified and accepted by the Student Affairs Office or Service Point.

You must apply for deferred examinations on Minerva if you are in one of the following faculties: Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Education, Engineering, Religious Studies, Science, School of Physical and Occupational Therapy, School of Social Work, and the School of Continuing Studies. If you do not belong to one of the above faculties, consult your faculty for application procedures.

The final application deadline in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Science, Education, Engineering, Management and the School of Continuing Studies for deferred examinations is January 15 (for Fall term courses), and May 15 (for Winter term courses and courses that span the Fall and Winter terms).

If your request is approved, an L will appear in place of a grade in those courses. The grade you obtain on the deferred examination will replace the grade of L on your official transcript.

If you receive a grade of D, F, J, or U in a course after a deferred examination, no supplemental examinations will be available. You must either re-register in the same course the following term or in an approved course substitute.

For Summer term courses, check with your Student Affairs Office on the availability and restrictions of deferred examinations.

If you have already written an examination, you cannot later request for the exam to be deferred. You should consult your Student Affairs Office regarding the availability of supplemental examinations.

Note for the Faculties of Arts and Science (including B.A. & Sc.): Submit your supporting documents to Service Point (3415 McTavish Street). However, it is important that you also see a Faculty adviser in Dawson Hall to talk about your options and the effects that your request may have on your studies. For more information, see www.mcgill.ca/students/advising.
Note for the Faculty of Engineering: You should refer to Deferred Examinations: Faculty of Engineering for more information on the Faculty of Engineering policies on deferred exams.

Revision, August 2012. Start of revision.

Note for the Faculty of Law: You should refer to www.mcgill.ca/law-studies/information/exams/#DEFSUP for more information on the Faculty of Law policies on deferred exams.

Revision, August 2012. End of revision.

Note for the Schulich School of Music: A Music student who has not cleared a grade of L by mid-May is ineligible for scholarships.

If you are not granted deferred status, you will receive a grade of J in the course, which will count as a failure in the TGPA and CGPA. You may, however, be allowed to write a supplemental examination. Please note that there are no supplemental exams in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences or Management courses. For the Faculty of Engineering, supplemental exams are exceptionally offered for some Science, Humanities, and Social Sciences courses. For a list of these courses, see the Faculty of Engineering website (www.mcgill.ca/engineering).

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2012-2013 (last updated Aug. 9, 2012) (disclaimer)