Policy Concerning Access to Records
Revision, February 2012. Start of revision.
The University sends statements of account and all other correspondence directly to students. You retain full control over who has access to your records or accounts; however, officers and members of the University staff also have access to relevant parts of your records for recognized and legitimate use. The University does not send progress reports or any other information to your parents and/or sponsors unless you specifically request it in writing.
In accordance with Quebec's Act Respecting Access to Documents held by Public Bodies and the Protection of Personal Information (the "Access Act"), personal information, including transcripts of academic records, may be released only with the student's authorization. When you apply to McGill, you authorize the University to release certain personal information (name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, program, and student status) to specific persons and bodies.
The following persons and bodies are included in your information release authorization:
- Libraries of other Quebec universities with which McGill has reciprocal borrowing agreements (ID number and bar code may also be disclosed to those libraries).
- Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles and/or the Régie de l'assurance-maladie du Québec and the Ministère de l'Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MELS).
- The appropriate authorities involved with the external or internal funding of your student fees (financial records may also be disclosed to those authorities).
- The Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
- The Association of Registrars of Universities and Colleges of Canada and the Conférence des recteurs et des principaux des universités du Québec, or the member institutions of these organizations, for the purpose of admissions operations and the production of statistics.
- The school(s) or college(s) that you attended.
- Students and alumni who have volunteered to speak with admitted students.
- Student Associations recognized by McGill University for the student category(ies) to which you belong.
- The McGill Alumni Association.
- Professional bodies or corporations (e.g., engineers, dentists).
- McGill Network and Communications Services for the purposes of listing your McGill email address in an online email directory.
If you do not want to authorize the University to disclose personal information to the organizations mentioned above in 8, 9, 10, and 11, you must complete and submit an Opposition Form, available at Service Point (www.mcgill.ca/students/servicepoint).
Revision, February 2012. End of revision.