Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement: McGill Students
Revision, February 2012. Start of revision.
The Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT) agreement permits concurrent registration at McGill and another Quebec institution.
If you are a regular McGill undergraduate or graduate degree, diploma, or certificate student, you may register, with your faculty's permission, at any Quebec university for three, or in some cases six, credits per term in addition to your registration at McGill. You may also obtain permission to complete a full term (i.e., 12 to 15 credits) at another Quebec university. These courses, subject to faculty regulations, will be recognized by McGill for the degree that you are registered for, up to the limit imposed by the residency requirements of the program. Normally, you must complete a minimum residency requirement of 60 credits at McGill in order to qualify for a McGill degree (you should check with your faculty). This privilege will be granted if there are valid academic reasons.
If you want to take advantage of this agreement, consult your Student Affairs Office for details. Note that this agreement is subject to the following conditions:
- The Quebec universities concerned may, at their discretion, refuse the registration of a student for any of their courses.
- You must complete your faculty and program requirements.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the McGill Class Schedule permits you to take these courses without conflict.
- The Quebec universities concerned are not responsible for special arrangements in cases of examination or class schedule conflicts.
- Grades earned at the host university will not be included in your McGill grade point averages (GPA) or show on your McGill transcripts.
- If you are attending McGill as an Exchange student from outside Quebec, you are not eligible to take courses at another Quebec institution through the IUT agreement.
- Any grades received late from host universities may delay your graduation.
If you are a scholarship holder, you should consult with your Student Affairs Office and the scholarships coordinator concerning eligibility for continuation or renewal of your award(s).
You must initiate an online Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT) application to request the required authorizations at www.mcgill.ca/students/transfercredit/current/iut. You may find additional information posted at your faculty website.
The host institution will automatically submit your grades to McGill for any completed courses.
Revision, February 2012. End of revision.