Note: This is the 20112012 edition of the eCalendar. Update the year in your browser's URL bar for the most recent version of this page, or click here to jump to the newest eCalendar.

Student Types and Registration Procedures

All students, including McGill students, Quebec Inter-University Transfer students, and Special and Visiting Students from universities outside Quebec, must register using Minerva, McGill’s web-based registration system at www.mcgill.ca/minerva. Once you have determined your student type below, take note of the registration procedures in the corresponding column. Please note that students owing fees from previous terms will be denied access to register on Minerva.

A) A McGill student is:
  • One who is registered in the Winter term immediately preceding the Summer 2012 term in a McGill degree or diploma program; students who are graduating in June 2012, see instructions for D) Special Students.
  • One who has not registered or who withdrew in the Winter term and has received a letter of readmission from the Faculty office.
Please remember to:
  • Pay any outstanding fees on your student account;
  • Verify the course and program requirements in the Undergraduate Programs, Courses and University Regulations publication at www.mcgill.ca/study;
  • Consult your faculty student affairs office for a list of Summer courses that are acceptable for credit towards your degree. Other courses may be taken, but may not count toward your degree;
  • Obtain authorization from the appropriate department, if required;
  • Go to www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/add/register and follow instructions on how to register. View your class schedule on Minerva to ensure you are correctly registered.
Graduate students Must register with Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (see www.mcgill.ca/gps)
School of Continuing Studies students Must register with the School of Continuing Studies (see www.mcgill.ca/potential/cont)
Macdonald campus Summer session students Must register with the Faculty of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences (see www.mcgill.ca/macdonald)
B) A Quebec Inter-University Transfer student is:
  • One who is currently registered at a Quebec university and wishes to transfer credits granted by McGill during the Summer to that university.
Currently registered students at other Quebec universities should follow the steps below:
  • Initiate an online Inter-University Transfer (IUT) form to request the required authorizations. Complete the IUT form available online at www.crepuq.qc.ca and click on the indicated link and enter your application information.
  • After the online Inter-University Transfer form is approved by your home university and McGill, you must register in the approved course(s) on Minerva.
  • Go to www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/add/register and follow instructions on how to register. View your class schedule on Minerva to ensure you are correctly registered.
Note: The online IUT form is only an approval process and does not signify that you will be registered in the course.
C) A Visiting Student from a University Outside Quebec is:
  • One who is currently registered in a degree or diploma program at another university. (You may take Summer courses at McGill for credit at your home university. After you have selected the courses that you would like to take for university credit, obtain written permission from the Registrar or other responsible authority at your home university. This letter of permission should state the course(s) and number of credits that may be taken and must accompany the documentation sent to McGill.)
Registration for Visiting students from universities outside Quebec and for all Special Students:
  • Before registering for courses on Minerva, you must have a McGill record. You must first fill out an Application for Summer Studies for Summer 2012, available for downloading at www.mcgill.ca/summer/applying. Once you have been admitted to the Summer session, please visit www.mcgill.ca/students/courses/add/register for instructions on how to register for your courses.
  • Note that you must provide your Permanent Code and supporting documents according to the regulations explained in Legal Documents: What Documents Does McGill Need from You? Please read this section carefully before submitting your application.
  • If you bring your application in person, you will be issued a McGill ID number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) to access Minerva, McGill's web-based information system.
  • If you apply by mail, you will receive a letter of confirmation indicating your student number, and indicating that you should use Minerva to add your course(s). Processing of mailed-in application forms will begin in March. Some courses fill up rapidly so you are advised to send your Application for Summer Studies early.
Note: You are responsible for all courses in which you are registered unless you formally drop these courses online using Minerva before the deadline date. Neither notification of the course instructor nor discontinuing class attendance is sufficient (see Key Dates, Summer 2012 for add/drop and withdrawal deadlines).
D) A Special Student is:
  • One who has received either a conditional or final letter of acceptance to a McGill undergraduate degree or diploma program.
  • Anyone who is not currently registered in a degree or diploma program either at McGill or elsewhere.
  • One who is graduating from McGill University in the month of June 2012.
Note: If you have received a final acceptance to a McGill undergraduate degree or diploma program for Fall 2012 and have confirmed your acceptance, please see the registration procedures for student type A).
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2011-2012 (last updated Feb. 3, 2012) (disclaimer)