Fall 2011 - Summer 2012
During the 19th century, several Theological Colleges in Montreal became affiliated with McGill. In 1912, they formed a Joint Board for the academic study of Theology, leaving each denominational College to provide its own professional training for Christian ministry. This relationship between the Colleges and the University led naturally to the creation in 1948 of a Faculty of Divinity, which assumed the academic functions of the Joint Board, now designated the Montreal School of Theology. In 1970, the name of the Faculty was changed to the Faculty of Religious Studies. This University Faculty now offers the Bachelor of Theology (B.Th.) degree and several graduate degree programs.