Quick Links

Financial support

For student parents


To find out if you're eligible for McGill scholarships or bursaries, contact the University's Scholarships and Student Aid Office.


The Canada Grant for Students with Dependants is available to all students with children who apply and qualify for a Canada Student Loan through their province of residence, and who meet the eligibility criteria. A Grant for Students from Low-income Families is also offered. Visit the federally run CanLearn website to learn more.


Depending on your province of residence, you may also qualify for provincial assistance. Click here for a listing of provincial and territorial student financial assistant offices.

Even if you do not meet the normal credit requirements of full-time studies, you may still be considered a full-time student by the Government of Quebec, and be eligible for scholarships and/or student aid. Eligibility depends on the age of your child and on whether or not you are a single parent. Find out more by visiting the Aide financière aux études website or by contacting the AFE office at 1-877-643-3750.

For all parents

Federal and provincial benefits

As a parent in Quebec, you may be eligible for certain benefits. You will be automatically registered for these if, when filling out the Declaration of Birth form, you authorize the government to relay your information to the appropriate agencies. Note that you must be a citizen or permanent resident to take advantage of many of these benefits:

  • The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a non-taxable monthly payment to help parents with the costs of raising children. It is calculated based upon your previous year's tax return and, depending on your household income, may also include a National Child Benefit Supplement.
  • The National Child Benefit Supplement
  • The Quebec Family Allowance (Régie des Rentes du Québec). The Régie des Rentes du Québec administers a child assistance payment for eligible families, paid monthly or quarterly. The amount you qualify for is determined based upon the number of children in your care, your marital status and your family income. Visit the Régie's website to find out if you're eligible, or click here to apply online.
  • The Universal Child Care Benefit
  • A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) for your child may be opened at any bank, but your child will need a Social Insurance Number first. (Click here for information on getting a SIN).