Quick Links


General questions

Q. Can students get parental leave from McGill?
A. Graduate students should visit the GPS website to consult the policy for leaves of absence. Undergraduates should seek information at their faculty's Student Affairs Office.

Q. What support resources are there for student parents at McGill?
A. The McGill Student Parent Network is a great way to meet other student parents and find resources including babysitting, lightly used children's clothes and toys, and even free music lessons for your kids. Check out the Links and Resources section of this site to find out more about on- and off-campus parenting support.

Money matters

Q. Do students with dependants qualify for special funding?
A. As a parent, you may be eligible to receive higher amounts of federal or provincial loans, as well as supplemental bursaries specifically for students with dependants. Click here for details, or contact McGill’s Scholarships and Student Aid Office


Q. Is there family housing on campus?
A. McGill’s residences consist exclusively of single bedrooms in shared-facilities houses and single occupancy apartments. While there is no family housing available on campus, McGill’s Off-Campus Housing Office has a number of resources to help you find housing in Montreal for you and your family.


Q. Are there daycares on campus?
A. There are two daycares at McGill: the SSMU Daycare Centre and the McGill Daycare Centre. Children of full-time McGill students have priority, but spaces are limited and your children may be wait-listed. You can also try Enfance Famille. Check the Daycare section of this site for more options.

Health care

Q. Can international students get health care for dependants?
A. Yes. International students and their dependants are required by McGill to participate in the McGill International Student Health Insurance Plan, administered by International Student Services.

Q. As a Canadian student, what health care plans are available for my dependants?
A. If you are pursuing undergraduate studies you can add your dependants to your SSMU health plan for an additional fee. If you’re a graduate student, you can do the same through your PGSS health plan. Check the Health care for dependants section of this site for more information.

Special needs children

Q. My child has special needs. Can I get extra support?
A. Check the English Montreal School Board's Database for Special Needs for resources in Montreal.