Your preferred first name is a name by which you are normally addressed, and is different than your legal first name. The Preferred First Name Procedure enables students to use an alternate preferred first name for certain purposes while studying at McGill.
Students who wish to use a Preferred First Name should enter this information into Minerva (see instructions below) as soon as possible in order to ensure that their preferred first name is used as widely as possible.
The preferred first name will appear on:
- McGill I.D. cards
- Minerva Class lists
- Student Advising Transcripts
- Display Name in Outlook and Office 365
- McGill email alias (see instructions below)
- Change in Summer 2017- myCourses
- Change in Summer 2017- myFuture
The student’s legal name appears on:
- Official university transcripts
- Reports to government
- Letters of attestation
- Diplomas and certificates
- Tuition fee e-bills
- Tax receipts
It is important to note that making a request to use a preferred first name at McGill does not change a student’s legal name in the McGill student record or records with government authorities.
If for serious reasons (e.g. transgender student whose legal name does not reflect their gender identity) you require further accommodation with the use of your preferred first name, please contact heidi.emami [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Preferred%20first%20name%20accommodation) (Heidi Emami), heidi.emami [at] mcgill.ca (subject: Preferred%20first%20name%20accommodation) (Associate Registrar), Management of Academic Records and Examinations.
You can provide a preferred first name on your application for admission or, once admitted, on Minerva, under the Personal Menu. From the Personal Menu, select Name Change and then add your preferred first name in the preferred first name field.
Please see the Preferred First Name FAQ for more information.
To add a preferred first name:
- Log into Minerva
- Select the Personal Menu
- Click Name Change
To change your McGill email alias:
Students can request that their preferred first name be part of their McGill e-mail address by submitting a change to NCS via the REGGIE tool.
To do this:
- Click Change Account Information from the REGGIE homepage
- Select McGill Email Address
- Enter your McGill username and password & click Next
- Select the let me request something option beside Replace Chosen McGill email address
- Click Change or Request McGill Email Address and follow the rest of the instructions