On the Day of The Ceremony
Academic dress protocol
- Graduands must wear their caps as they enter the hall.
- Before crossing the stage, those receiving their first degree should remove their cap; those earning graduate degrees leave their cap in place.
- The hood should be worn with the strap around the neck. The silk lining of the flat part of the hood should face inwards against the back.
- To participate in the ceremony you must bring your academic dress and your line-up card.
- Please arrive with your academic dress and your line-up card ONE HOUR before the ceremony. If you arrive after this time you might not be allowed to cross the stage for the formal awarding of your degree.
- Remember that although the ceremony is held in a tent, it is still for all intents and purposes an outdoor event. Therefore, graduating students, their families and friends should dress taking into consideration the weather conditions of that day. If the day is warm, light-weight clothing is recommended. Umbrellas are advised if weather conditions are unsettled. Sensible shoes are recommended at all times as there is some walking and climbing of stairs.
- Put on your robe and line up in Redpath Hall (FAES graduands assemble in Centennial Centre).
- Follow the signs and use the number on your line-up card to find your place in the procession. It's important to line up in ascending order in accordance with the number on your card, as that number corresponds to the order in which degrees will be awarded.
- Marshals and faculty ambassadors will help you find your place and will provide assistance at the assembly points and during the ceremony.
Crossing the stage
- Marshals will indicate to the graduands, row by row, when they should leave their seats.
- Ascend the stage and give the person standing at the lectern a portion of your line-up card so that your name can be read.
- As soon as your card is read, walk to the centre of the stage and pause in front of the Chancellor or his designate.
- If you are receiving your first degree, the Chancellor or his designate will tap you on the head with his own cap. If you already have a degree, the Chancellor or his designate will tap you on the shoulder instead.
- Continue across the stage to shake hands with the Dean or his delegate.
- Walk off stage and exchange the remaining portion of your line-up card for your diploma and return to your seat.
Conclusion of the ceremony
- Please do not leave the venue until the ceremony is over.
- When the proceedings have concluded, please remain standing after the national anthem until the platform party has left the hall.