Quick Links

Deferred and supplemental exams

Deferred exams

What is a deferred exam, and do I qualify?

If you are unable to write your final exam due to illness or another serious reason, you may apply for a deferral and when your application is accepted, you will be permitted to write it during the next deferred exam period. To qualify, you must obtain documentation (such as a doctor's note) explaining your inability to write the exam on the original date, and bring it to your Student Affairs Office as soon as possible after the exam, but no later than January 15 (for Fall courses) or May 15 (Winter and Fall-Winter courses). Students in Arts or Science (including B.A. & Sc.) should bring their notes to the Service Point at 3415 McTavish.

Students in the Faculty of Engineering are to follow the instructions and deadlines found on the following page: http://www.mcgill.ca/engineering/current-students/undergraduate/courses-registration/exams-assessment/deferrals.

For final exams missed during the summer term, please follow the deadlines listed here (link to http://www.mcgill.ca/students/exams/dates). Deferred exams for all summer term courses will be held in mid-August concurrent with the Winter Deferred exams.  (in 2013 the dates are August 20th (Agriculture only), 21st and 22nd.

How do I apply?

  • Final Examinations: Deferred Examinations

    If, for serious reasons such as illness or family affliction, you have not written one or more examinations, you may receive the permission of your Faculty Student Affairs Office to defer the examination to the next supplemental examination period, except in the Faculty of Engineering (where students write the examination the next time the course is given); see Faculty of Engineering Undergradute Students. You should be aware that the University will only defer examinations for compelling reasons, verified and accepted by the Student Affairs Office. You must provide supporting evidence such as an appropriate medical report, and you must inform the Student Affairs Office as soon as possible to explain why you missed the examination.

    For Final exams missed during the summer term, applications are now submitted through Minerva (link to https://horizon.mcgill.ca/pban1/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin)

  • If you are in one of the following faculties, you must apply for deferred examinations on Minerva:
    • Agricultural & Environmental Sciences
    • Arts
    • School of Continuing Studies
    • Education
    • Engineering
    • Nursing
    • Religious Studies
    • Physical & Occupational Therapy
    • Science
    • Social Work
  • If you do not belong to one of the above faculties, consult your faculty for application procedures.
  • The final application deadline in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Science, Education, Engineering, Management and the School of Continuing Studies for deferred examinations is January 15 (for Fall term courses), and May 15 (for Winter term courses and courses that span the Fall and Winter terms). For final exams missed during the summer term, please follow the deadlines listed here (link to http://www.mcgill.ca/students/exams/dates). Please note that each Summer term has its own deadlines for the submission of an application for deferral

  • If your request is approved, an L will appear in place of a grade in those courses. The grade you obtain on the deferred examination will replace the grade of L on your official transcript.

  • If you receive a grade of D, F, J, or U in a course after a deferred examination, no supplemental examinations will be available. You must either re-register in the same course the following term or in an approved course substitute.

  • Note for the Faculties of Arts and Science (including B.A. & Sc.): Requests normally made at your Faculty Student Affairs Office are now made at the Service Point (see www.mcgill.ca/students). However, it is important that you also see a Faculty adviser in Dawson Hall to talk about your options and the effects that your request may have on your studies. For more information, see www.mcgill.ca/students/advising.

  • Note for Music Students: A Music student who has not cleared a grade of L by mid-May is ineligible for scholarships.

  • If you are not granted deferred status, you will receive a grade of J in the course, which will count as a failure in the TGPA and CGPA. You may, however, be allowed to write a supplemental examination. Please note there are no supplemental exams in Agricultural and Environmental Sciences or Management courses. For the Faculty of Engineering, supplemental exams are exceptionally offered for some Science, Humanities and Social Sciences courses. For a list of these courses, see the Faculty of Engineering website: Faculty of Engineering

  •    If you have already written an examination, you cannot later request for the exam to be deferred. You should consult your Student Affairs Office regarding the availability of supplemental examinations.

Application dates and exam periods


Supplemental exams

What is a supplemental exam, and do I qualify?

  • If you received a grade of D, F, J or U, you may in some circumstances be permitted to write a supplemental exam, which will count for a large percentage of your final grade. Your initial grade will still appear on your transcript beside your new one, and both will be calculated into your CGPA.

    Students who apply for a supplemental examination and subsequently find themselves unprepared for it should not write it (excluding the Faculty of Law and Physical and Occupational Therapy students who must consult their Student Affairs Office). Except for the loss of the registration fee, there is no penalty for not writing a supplemental examination. Contact an advisor in your Student Affairs Office for details.

    Note that supplemental exams are not available for courses administered by Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Management, Music or Engineering (except for some Science, Humanities and Social Sciences courses).

How do I apply?

Applications can be made on Minerva. A $35 fee will apply.

Rules and regulations

  • The format of the supplemental exam will not necessarily be identical to that of the final exam of the same course. Students are responsible for contacting the course professor for information about the supplemental exam format.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to find out the date, time and location of the exam by consulting the supplemental exam schedule when it is posted.
  • Students from the School of Physical and Occupational Therapy should consult the School’s advisors as special conditions may apply to them. All students are strongly encouraged to consult their Student Affairs Office to determine the supplemental exam policies of their faculties and/or schools.

Application dates and exam periods