The Mobility Award encourages students to study abroad as part of their McGill degree program by defraying part of the cost of eligible study abroad activities.
The Award has two components:
- Basic Mobility Award
- Offered to all McGill students accepted into eligible study abroad programs.
- Administered by International Education—details on the award, including a list of eligible activities, are on their Mobility Award page.
- Mobility Financial Aid Supplement
- Only available to students approved to go on an exchange semester abroad and who have a demonstrated financial need.
- Students must apply through Minerva to be considered.
- Administered by Scholarships and Student Aid (SSAO)—details on the award are provided below.
Mobility Financial Aid Supplement
The Mobility Financial Aid Supplement is primarily for students who:
- are approved for an exchange semester abroad (where you study at one of McGill’s partner universities while earning credit at and paying tuition to McGill)
- have qualified for and accepted the Basic Mobility Award
- demonstrate financial need according to SSAO guidelines
Due to the high costs of travel, receipt of government aid is not the only factor in demonstrating financial need.
The value of the award depends on various factors, including:
- number of approved applications and level of funding available
- destination of the study abroad program
- duration of the study abroad program—minimum two months (61 days) per term, up to a maximum of four months (122 days) per term
How to apply
Students can apply on Minerva:
- Go to the Financial Aid/Awards tab
- Select the Financial Aid Menu
- Select Apply for McGill Financial Aid and
- Click Apply next to the Mobility Financial Aid Supplement
- Click Update your Financial Aid Profile
- Submit your application
You do not need to book an appointment with a Student Aid Counsellor.
Your application will be assessed online, so it is very important to clearly and accurately include all relevant information.
When to apply
Be prepared to apply within the open and close dates indicated below.
Late applications will not be accepted (no exceptions!).
|Approved study abroad term:||Applications open:||Applications close:||Results (on Minerva) by:|
|Summer 2017 or |
Fall 2017 or
Fall 2017 and Winter 2018
|May 1, 2017||May 31, 2017||June 30, 2017|
|Winter 2018 or |
Late approvals for Fall 2017
|October 1, 2017||October 31, 2017||November 30, 2017|
The Mobility Financial Aid Supplement will be credited to your student fee account.
McGill's International Education website has more information on:
If you have questions about the Exchange Program and the Basic Mobility Award you can studentexchanges [at] mcgill.ca (email Mobility Awards).
For questions about the Mobility Financial Aid Supplement, student.aid [at] mcgill.ca (email Scholarships and Student Aid).