Quick Links

Canada student aid

McGill Canadian students from outside of Quebec are eligible for government aid assistance through their province of residence.

 Out-of-province government aid has two funding sources*:

Students need only submit one application through their provincial portal. They are then assessed for both types of government aid at once.

*The Northwest Territories and Nunavut have stand-alone government aid programs that are not integrated with the Canada Student Loans Program.

Student responsibilities

It is the student’s responsibility to:

  • complete their government aid application on time
  • check their application status on their provincial government aid account before coming to the Scholarships and Student Aid Office (SSAO) for related inquiries
  • refer back to their provincial aid account regularly for file and funding updates
  • create a CLSP account (in addition to their provincial aid account) once their funds have been disbursed

 The SSAO’s role

  • The SSAO assists all government aid agencies in administering the student aid programs by confirming student registration status.
  • We help students with the application, appeals process and eligibility requirements.
  • When required, we inform students about their government jurisdiction policies and procedures.

Students with Canada or Integrated Provincial Student Loans: it’s now more important than ever to register an account with NSLSC On-Line Services so you can check the status of your loans!

Effective immediately a new feature in the NSLSC On-Line Services will change how you receive information about your loan. You will no longer receive Canada loan disbursement confirmations via Canada Post mail. Instead, a Funding Confirmed notice will now appear in your secure online mailbox within the NSLSC On-Line Services website. (NSLSC will use the email they have on file to alert you to verify your online mailbox when new info on your loan is sent there.)

If you do not have an account with NSLSC On-Line Services, you will receive your info via email at which point you will also be advised to register for an account.