McGill Canadian students from outside of Quebec are eligible for government aid assistance through their province of residence.
Out-of-province government aid has two funding sources*:
- federal government aid: known as the Canada Student Loans Program (CSLP)
- provincial government aid: each province or territory has its own student loan program
Students need only submit one application through their provincial portal. They are then assessed for both types of government aid at once.
*The Northwest Territories and Nunavut have stand-alone government aid programs that are not integrated with the Canada Student Loans Program.
It is the student’s responsibility to:
- complete their government aid application on time
- check their application status on their provincial government aid account before coming to the Scholarships and Student Aid Office (SSAO) for related inquiries
- refer back to their provincial aid account regularly for file and funding updates
- create a CLSP account (in addition to their provincial aid account) once their funds have been disbursed
The SSAO’s role
- The SSAO assists all government aid agencies in administering the student aid programs by confirming student registration status.
- We help students with the application, appeals process and eligibility requirements.
- When required, we inform students about their government jurisdiction policies and procedures.