McGill is registered as a bill with most Canadian banks
- Log into your online banking
- Add McGill as a bill (bill payee) and the account number is your McGill ID number (*If a Guest is paying, please use the Student’s ID, not the Guest ID)
- Pay the McGill bill
- It will take 1-3 business days for the payment to be received, and will be credited to your account around 1:30pm.
- If you paid by the due date, we will receive the payment before interest is charged.
- If you have a hold, the hold will lift when the payment is received and credited to your account.
E-Payment (credit unions)
If your bank has McGill registered as a bill payee, you should pay through online banking from your bank. See Online Banking for more details.
e-Payment allows you to initiate a payment through Minerva that will debit your Canadian bank account. E-Payment is a good option for small trusts and credit unions that do not have McGill registered as a bill payee.
To subscribe to this service, you are required to sign a one-time agreement stating that McGill University may debit your bank account for the amount that you specify on a given date. You or your Guest must log into Minerva and approve a payment each time you want to make one.
Step 1: Setup pre-authorized debit with McGill
- Print and complete the agreement form found found here .
- If the bank account is not in the student’s name, then the account holder must be set up with Guest access by the student in order to use this payment method.
- Return the form to Student Accounts with a cheque marked VOID*; to the contact information indicated on the form.
- Once the pre-authorized debit is set up you will be notified by email.
Step 2: Make the payment
- Log into Minerva and navigate to the e-Payments Options menu under the e-Billing and e-Payments menu (for Guests: e-Payments Options menu under e-Payment menu).
- Click on “Make a pre-authorized debit payment” on the bottom of the screen (for Guests, you will have to first select the student for which you are making a payment).
- Enter the amount that you want to pay, in Canadian dollars.
- The Payment Date will default to the current date.
You can choose a date in the future if you want to post-date the payment. The payment will not be reflected on the student’s account until this date, and your bank account will not be debited until after this date.
- Submit the payment.
- Note that post-dated payments can be cancelled up until the Payment Date, on the Pending e-Payments page. Current dated payments can be cancelled as long as you can see the payment on the Pending e-Payments page.
The payment will appear on the student’s Account Summary by Term the next business day. Your bank account will be debited within 1-3 business days. Payment requests that are returned (i.e. closed account, insufficient funds, etc.) will be subject to a returned item charge.
Each time you wish to make a payment, you must login to Minerva and initiate a payment transaction. At no time will your account be debited without your authorization.
The agreement may be cancelled at any time by notifying the Student Accounts Office, either by fax, by telephone or by email.
* Where a cheque is not available, another document must be provided showing the bank logo, your name, your bank account number and the bank routing/transit number. Bank statements, print-screens from an internet banking site & letters from bank employees on letterhead are acceptable documents.
We recommend that you use one of the electronic methods of payment. If this is not possible, we do accept cheques. The University is not responsible for mail service delivery. Postmarks on envelopes are not viewed as the received date. If a payment is received past the fee deadline indicated on your e-bill, interest and/or a Late Payment Fee will be assessed. The cheque can be mailed, along with a copy of your e-bill, to:
McGill University — Student Accounts Office
3415 McTavish Street
Montréal, Québec H3A 0C8
Cheques, money orders or bank drafts should be made payable to "McGill University" in Canadian funds. To ensure that your account is correctly credited, you must print your family name and McGill ID number on the front of the cheque or money order.
HigherEdPoints (Aeroplan and TD points)
HigherEd Points allows you to apply TD and Aeroplan reward points towards your tuition and fees. Sign up with Higher Ed Points and follow the steps for your loyalty program. Once you've completed the transfer, it will take about 3-4 business days for the points to be applied to your student fee account.
Find detailed information and instructions at HigherEdPoints.com.
*Payments made through HigherEdPoints are non-refundable if they create a credit balance on the student’s fee account the credit will be applied against future charges.